Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
A course on contracting or for any licensing exams?
Where are you located? Location will determine if you need to take a test or not.
Online courses - if you can find some business classes would probably be more beneficial than anything else.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Business classes and construction management classes in combination with each other are great if you want to be a contractor. I also encourage you to get your hands dirty, because nothing beats that one two punch of education and practicality.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 10+ years of construction experience

I am in North Carolina

Where do I start?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
LOL 10 years experience but not sure where to start? Your already there!

Seriously you should contact your state labor department and see if they require any certification. if they don't, start advertising and start selling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Grumpy said:
Seriously you should contact your state labor department and see if they require any certification. if they don't, start advertising and start selling.
I would guess that ALL states require some sort of "certification" to be a gc?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
IL is funny. No GC certification required, but you need certification for most sub work. The good part is that even a GC can't get a permit without his subs liscences... so anyone can be a GC but you won't go far without liscenced subs.

·
Registered
318 Posts
illinois

"The good part is that even a GC can't get a permit without his subs liscences... so anyone can be a GC but you won't go far without liscenced subs."

Illinois is one heck of a state to be a good, reliable, licensed sub. Imagine always having work and needing little to no selling to get it....

Tim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts