Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

I/W/H beam- How to support for strength

714 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Gronk 
#1 · (Edited)
I need to do a load test on a wood pile. The engineer want's it loaded to failure or at least 28 kips (not just 20). I plan on spanning two existing 14" wood pile with a 8' W12x72 or so section (12"x12"x~0.5"). The test pile will be in between with a bottle jack on top pushing against the W beam. I'm really not sure how to have this beam supported. I'm currently thinking we should weld a plate to the end of it and bolt that plate to the pile with 4-5 thru bolts. Think that will hold? My main question is if that plate is welded to the beam correctly.
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Slope

See less See more
#3 ·
Sorry- It's 28 kips or failure needed, not 20

The geotech thinks we can get 28 kips bearing on the 8", so the 14" pile should resist half that in uplift. Those 14" pile are from the old structure too so they'll have plenty of skin friction built up already. Whether that's a realistic number or not doesn't really matter to me... that's for the engineers to decide. I am, however, confident that two established larger pile will have greater uplift resistance than a new smaller pile has in bearing. I just want to make sure my beam isn't the weak point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.