Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think im getting ripped off help
« Thread Started Today at 10:08pm »
So I have a job with @#@#@$# I put cable in the ground residential. So my boss started making me and my helper pay for fuel in the work truck( the fuel cost has been deducted from out pay checks ) well I found out no other employees are being charged. I'm trying to figure out if this is legal because its not fare, he took 300$ out of my last check. Please help me here, I'd like to get some info before I go to the better business burrow. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
29,341 Posts
i think im getting ripped off help
« Thread Started Today at 10:08pm »
So I have a job with @#@#@$# I put cable in the ground residential. So my boss started making me and my helper pay for fuel in the work truck( the fuel cost has been deducted from out pay checks ) well I found out no other employees are being charged. I'm trying to figure out if this is legal because its not fare, he took 300$ out of my last check. Please help me here, I'd like to get some info before I go to the better business burrow. Thanks.
Sounds like its illegal, why work for a douche regardless?

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Well then, why not use 'your' truck for other purposes to make money?
Why not rent it out for moving? Park it outside of strip clubs, adult bookstores? As it's hunting season, take it offroading and beat the snot out of it, etc. Heck, it's your fuel.....

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
I guess I could of used better wording from my last post disappearing . If it's company truck and he is takein money out of check for gas . Tell him give me my money back or going to lawyer for action .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not worried about the job I have 3 new ones on stand by right now. But should I just approach him and say what your doing is illegal or should I just take him to court because I really want my money back he's prob took 2000 between me n my helpers.

·
Registered
Custom
13,770 Posts
Not worried about the job I have 3 new ones on stand by right now. But should I just approach him and say what your doing is illegal or should I just take him to court because I really want my money back he's prob took 2000 between me n my helpers.
If you are an employee, it is illegal, if you are a sub, what does your contract say?...

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
If you are a "contractor" (many of these type jobs are), then you aren't his employee. Your helper is your 'employee'...unless you have filled out the paperwork to make him your employee also.

If the DB you work for also took money from your helper, than he may be an "indepdent contractor" of the DB you are an "independent contractor" for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK I do not get taxed on my check I will be getting a w2
Also I do believe I'm his employ his company is printed on my check and not the cable comp we actually do work for, and he did take money out of my helpers checks and the filled out the same app as me and get a check from the DB company we work for .

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Easy question: Do you have FICA taken out of your check?

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Do you ever do other jobs using that truck?
From the way it sounds, I would....and also let my/his helper use it too. ;)

The bbb is over rated as a same business can have in house employees and/or use subs. Don't know for sure on the following, but I'd bet only the consumers of a business (and the business creditors) can have any input on rating a business. Oh, and fees....

1 - 20 of 63 Posts