Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, I go out and open the back of the truck and slide my shin into the trailer hitch. Ouch! I limp back into the garage, grab my stuff, load it in the truck and I'm off.
I stop and pick up some base shoe at HD and the cash register doesn't like my check. Great. After the lady enters every number on my check manually, I'm on the road again.
I back into the driveway of the job, hop out of the truck, open up the back and notice the passenger side window of my truck cap is smashed. WTF!
What else could happen?
I grab my Rockwell saw to cut out some shelving, open the box and find my metal cutting blades have almost not teeth left on them. Outstanding! It takes me 3x longer to cut out the 3 shelves with dull blades. No, I wasn't about to leave to get more. I will send my neighbor, he used it last.
With the shelving installed, I install the built in bench seating with drawers. Things are cruising along and I cut the last 3 pieces of trim for the benches. I check the fit of the first piece, grab the nail, shoot 2 nails and hear the compressor go 'rrrrrrrrrrr"
I shut it off, smack with my hammer, turn it on and "rrrrrrrrrrrrrr". I must be seized. It's about 9 yrs old and finally died today.
I just shook my head and laughed. What a day.
So, do you think I should buy some lottery tickets?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey sorry to hear about that. I have days like that. Usually when it starts off like that...unless its something really important or im slammed...Im done for the day. I know from experience once it starts off that bad..nothing good is going to happen. I like using the passlode cordless for trim...the co2 cylinders are expensive thou.

·
Zimmermann
328 Posts
This morning, I go out and open the back of the truck and slide my shin into the trailer hitch. Ouch! I limp back into the garage, grab my stuff, load it in the truck and I'm off.
I stop and pick up some base shoe at HD and the cash register doesn't like my check. Great. After the lady enters every number on my check manually, I'm on the road again.
I back into the driveway of the job, hop out of the truck, open up the back and notice the passenger side window of my truck cap is smashed. WTF!
What else could happen?
I grab my Rockwell saw to cut out some shelving, open the box and find my metal cutting blades have almost not teeth left on them. Outstanding! It takes me 3x longer to cut out the 3 shelves with dull blades. No, I wasn't about to leave to get more. I will send my neighbor, he used it last.
With the shelving installed, I install the built in bench seating with drawers. Things are cruising along and I cut the last 3 pieces of trim for the benches. I check the fit of the first piece, grab the nail, shoot 2 nails and hear the compressor go 'rrrrrrrrrrr"
I shut it off, smack with my hammer, turn it on and "rrrrrrrrrrrrrr". I must be seized. It's about 9 yrs old and finally died today.
Definitely a rough day my man.

Alot of the time after a few incidents or whatever I take a minute, get some coffee and smoke a cigarette. Try to get into a mindset of "Ok, Im starting the day over".

sometimes a bad day is a bad day though.

tomorrow will be better.

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
We ALL have those days. It just makes you appreciate normal days all that much more.

Learn to laugh about it and it will make you appreciate the "normal" days when things really fall into place.

·
Al Smith
2,392 Posts
What else could happen?

My compressor went hmmmmmmm today too. and after all those threads i posted in singing its praises. Took it to the only guy in the state apparently who fixes those things only to find out. i knew more about who actually manufactured the thing (a jenny emglo)than he did.

Btw, did you figure out what tools you are missing when someone broke your cap window in the home depot parking lot? I don't think your day from hell is quite over until you do an inventory.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,528 Posts
Hey sorry to hear about that. I have days like that. Usually when it starts off like that...unless its something really important or im slammed...Im done for the day. I know from experience once it starts off that bad..nothing good is going to happen. I like using the passlode cordless for trim...the co2 cylinders are expensive thou.
:blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

You mean gas cartridges?

Hope tomorrow goes better for you.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Sounds like a good day to me. With a broken window you could have found all of your tools gone!
Steve

What else could happen?

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
May the building gods smile upon you tomorrow.:clap:

More details about the broken window would be nice. wtf happened there?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,528 Posts
Back in yer cage, Leo! :laughing::laughing::laughing:
I don't know who left it unlocked, but I am taking full advantage of it.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The window was fine when I left HD. Somewhere on the road it decided to give up. If I take my compressor apart tomorrow and find a BB then that will explain a lot
Someone better smile on me tomorrow, I have to go sell an ent. center.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
The window was fine when I left HD. Somewhere on the road it decided to give up. If I take my compressor apart tomorrow and find a BB then that will explain a lot
Someone better smile on me tomorrow, I have to go sell an ent. center.
I hope you get it and win big.:thumbsup:

Let us know if we can help in anyway.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I had a rough day too... laid around in bed till 930 the ol lady came over at 8 she brought me my favorite breakfast in bed then went and installed a motion sensor light and made 75 dollars... life is rough on the week after Christmas shutdown ..

·
paper hanger,painter
916 Posts
I had a rough day too... laid around in bed till 930 the ol lady came over at 8 she brought me my favorite breakfast in bed then went and installed a motion sensor light and made 75 dollars... life is rough on the week after Christmas shutdown ..
That's $75 more than I have made in 2 weeks:mad:

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
your ol lady did all that while you stayed in bed? man, where can I get a gal like that??? :laughing:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts