Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering I spilt oil based paint on unfinished oak stairs. I cleaned it with paint thinner but the stairs are now dirty, and soiled. What can I do to clean them before they are stained? Any advice would help

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
They are toast.

Open grain wood and all that thinned out paint in the pores, not even worth trying to sand that out.

You could spill paint on the whole thing and clean up the best you can then sand the best you can. Then the whole set will look the same.

You could paint the whole set.

Tough break:no:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Really, you have no idea how to use a sander and fix that?
I did a foolish move like that when I was younger, luckily it wasn't someone else's wood and onece you sop that thinner on it your in for alot of sanding!!

Can I suggest the sander he use?
Can I assume its best used with a really expensive shop vac called a "Dust Extraction System"?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,716 Posts
Wrong picture Gus, he needs the Elton glasses I made for him. :laughing:

·
Registered
559 Posts
sweep a bunch of dust over it and let the next guy worry about it! lol I too feel if you choose to sand it out you may have to sand the tread down to nothing. Gus's idea about staining/cleaning up the rest may be a viable option. What about just replacing a few treads?

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Actually Gus, if you put this on it, came in the Systainer, you can sand right up to adjacent objects, risers, and leave a nice clean line.

Oh yeah I saw that thing, maybe we should try that out.

You the green man.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts