Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did it, my fault. We moved a commercial stove and tore the vinyl flooring. The customer wants me to turn it into my insurance company. I have a $5,000.00 deductible. The part we damaged is about 6' by 6 '. There are at least 2 layers, probably another below those 2. I will fix our mistake. What is the best way to fix it? Remove the metal strips, cut the vinyl to the wooded floor? Then glue the new vinyl down and install new strips? Or buy a box of 12" square tile? Remember this is a commercial kitchen, in front of the stove. I am concerned about the kitchen grease getting in the cracks of the tile, and then lifting the tile.

Any suggestions? The closest licensed floor contract is 65 miles North, or 75 miles west or 80 miles east or 85 miles south.

·
Registered
Remodel
32,241 Posts
Flooring requirements for licensed kitchens are set by the individual state. They have to be cleaned regularly, and none of the stick down tiles I've used will really stand up to it, but there may be a commercial product that will. Also consider - if you fix it and there's a problem, the owner is going to be unhappy with you again. If you have a flooring guy fix it and you pay him, when something comes up it's his problem.

70 miles away or not, I'd have a commercial flooring guy take care if it.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
He gets floor under the oven. Not the whole kitchen. You might just offer him $200 bucks and see what he says. Maybe he'll come back at a g and now youre just negotiating for money instead time materials and increased risk doing something you dont normally do.

·
Registered
475 Posts
You need a REAL commercial guy with a solid reputation to go take a look at the damage to see the actual repair/replacement cost. To drive that far and just look at it I'd want a couple hundred bucks plus gas.

Could be a BIG deal that's worth claiming on your insurance. Could be a simple repair.

If you could post up some decent resolution photos maybe I could help you out. I've spent my whole working life installing commercial resilient flooring............roundabout 35 years + or - time off my sentence for good behavior.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the responses. I think I will make some phone calls to see if I can get someone experienced to fix it. Besides, I can make more money tending to my trade and not try8ing to learn a new trade for one job. The county has about 2,ooo population. There are 6 places to get a hot meal in the county, 2 are closed, 2 are for sale, w/no takers. Of the 3 that are open, they are not open full time.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,844 Posts
I'm a professional flooring contractor in Florida, I can't speak for other state laws and regulations but two to four layers of vinyl? In a commercial kitchen? That can't be up to code.
Sounds like the OP is in a pretty rural area. I know around here, unless you're in a larger town, there's no such thing as a building inspector.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts