Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
ampman
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't have a web site i'am so far behind in this matter but i want one now how do you go about it (by the way i decided to sell my 8-track tapes if anyone is interested)

·
Web Dude
153 Posts
Haha Amp, welcome to the future!

Obviously anything I write here could come off self promotional, so I'd recommend having a read of some of the threads in this section and if they don't have the answers come on back and post the specifics.

It's a world filled with geek speak and jargon, and if you need any help clearing that crap up let me know, I just finished my translator. As big as a fridge but it works quite well. :)

If you have some more concrete questions, I'd love the chance to answer them (as I'm sure a bunch of other fellars would too). I hope you hear from you soon!

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,588 Posts
i don't have a web site i'am so far behind in this matter but i want one now how do you go about it (by the way i decided to sell my 8-track tapes if anyone is interested)
You have 8-tracks - really? How many? Lets talk 8-tracks here ampman. I might be interested. :thumbup:

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
The last time I had an 8-track player, it was stolen, and I never replaced it.

I agree with Justin (J. Sullivan) because there is a lot of great info in previous threads here. You don't have to become a web guru, just informed enough to avoid the common errors in choosing a designer. I'll say ditto to Justin's comment about using this thread to ask questions because it will seem very daunting at first. Don't worry about that, it'll get clearer over time. Or, just take Battle Ridge's advice and hire Justin. I've seen enough of his posts to know he's not just blowing smoke. Besides, with everyone watching this thread, he wouldn't dare do you wrong.

·
ampman
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i guess i'am in the early stages of this i was looking for general info like what does all the abb. mean - url-html-usb-java

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
You shouldn't have to worry about most of the alphabet soup. USB for example, I rather doubt that most people could tell you it stands for universal serial bus, and the fact that I know that probably means I'm too geeky. It has nothing to do with the web, it's primarily a way to hook up your printer and camera to the computer. In the "good ol days" you would need to boot up with all your devices connected and couldn't connect them after boot up because it either wouldn't work or could even damage the device. USB became the standard because it's "hot pluggable" and you can connect and disconnect devices as easlily as plugging a lamp into the wall socket of your house.

You'll only need to become familiar with a few common acronyms to avoid being mistaken for a caveman. SEO probably tops the list. It just means search engine optimization and refers to the process of making a web page visible to search engines and found by users seeking the info on that page.

Try to work with a designer that doesn't spew out alphabet soup. If you hear the "common folk" using terms, you should probably Google them if you don't know what they are. But there is no need for web people to use all those unless they are talking to each other. The only thing you need to know about HTML is that it's "code" and web people use it to create web sites. You don't need to know much more than that to hire a designer, and knowing it stands for hypertext markup language won't help you any more than knowing what USB stands for. You only need a basic idea of what it does.

You probably wouldn't study Latin just to choose a doctor. If your doctor told you he had to hook you up to an EKG, it really doesn't matter whether you know what it stands for or not. If he tells you your HDL is high, all you need to know is whether that's good or bad.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'll be a little blunt here and hope this is not condescending.

1) Find a reputable web developer that has created successful sites for others in your business. Make sure they have created ones that have worked for others. Don't assume the most expsensive (or fanciest design or hippest looking etc.) is the best. Look for people that have created results.

2) Get a quote

3) Save the money for the site

4) Get the site built

5) Follow their recommendation for maintaining, updating etc.

If you go into this yourself just remember that web development/seo is complex so don't underestimate the learning curve.

Anyone can do brain surgery. The hard part is having the patient survive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts