Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Game time on wrapping up a bath remodel....

Let's say you dumped a 1/4 gallon of Bin 1-2-3 primer on the passenger side floor of a nice little SUV, black leather and interior, inside and out, that you happened to be driving today. After scooping and sponging for about an hour of your "oh [email protected]" Friday afternoon, what do you do Saturday morning? This sucks.

So, do I wait for it to dry and dump some black-tinted primer?

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,209 Posts
Ouch. I'd probably start with nursing a massive hangover.

The critical thing is to get it mopped up as much as possible before it dries. Wifey suggests taking it to a really good detailer [before it dries].

Depending on the vintage, ownership, and relationship, suicide may be a viable option.

·
Punching above his weight
9,194 Posts
Damn man, sorry to hear this.

Why it was just this past week that I was stealing my wife's car and loading it with paint equipment to get to a job. It could have been me.

If I've learned anything in my young adulthood though it's that you should at least ask a pro what it would cost. I've been shocked to find several things that I'd always heard were "way too expensive," or "would cost more than buying new," aren't actually that much money.

It might be that, depending on where you oops'd, you could get away with getting some new carpet put down that will look better than darkening the existing, and won't be that hard on the wallet.

Worth a call. Good luck. Oof.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
45,164 Posts
Just admit you're screwed.

Order another carpet.

Install it when it comes in.

Bin 123 ain't coming out.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Game time on wrapping up a bath remodel....

Let's say you dumped a 1/4 gallon of Bin 1-2-3 primer on the passenger side floor of a nice little SUV, black leather and interior, inside and out, that you happened to be driving today. After scooping and sponging for about an hour of your "oh [email protected]" Friday afternoon, what do you do Saturday morning? This sucks.

So, do I wait for it to dry and dump some black-tinted primer?
Paint it.

https://www.colorbondpaint.com/coll...tomization-paint/products/carpet-refinisher-2

·
test
3,322 Posts
could claim this on insurance?
good story. a guy was rear ended and had some milk spilt on the carpet. Insurance company left if for days and the stink started. Instead of trying to clean it up... they wrote the truck off valued at about 8k.
no way to get the smell out they said didnt even try.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Then don't waste your time, order the carpet install when it arrives. Saves the cluster phuck trying the blacken it.

Tom
I figure that if dump some black paint and drive around a bit, my coverage will be perfect. One coat job.

The carpet job would be a bear.

For the record, it's an '05 Merury Mariner we just bought for my niece as her first car. Low mileage and very clean...except for this. :)

·
90%-er
1,260 Posts
I figure that if dump some black paint and drive around a bit, my coverage will be perfect. One coat job.

The carpet job would be a bear.

For the record, it's an '05 Merury Mariner we just bought for my niece as her first car. Low mileage and very clean...except for this. :)
Oh well then forget it. Tint and return. Still nicer than the first car I ever owned.

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
ammonia.

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
How? Pour and scrub?
yup.

After, flood with water and suck it out with a shop vac.

PS:BIN and 1-2-3 are diff products.

But the ammonia is der schitzel.

Test an area. Don't be surprised if it cuts the color on the carpet.

Hey, we bought a nice condo for an income property. Had high end beige berber. Trouble was the guy who rented it before, worked in a factory and ground greasy dirt into berber.

Did as outlined, it was beautiful. After 3 days, ammonia smell 100 percent gone too.

This is not my trick: My favorite production painters used to always soak their oil trim brushes in straight ammonia, clean out their airless with it too. Back then, I used 1-2-3 for prime on all trim. Produces a **** ing sweet finish when topped with oil, but all that is a pita to clean up.

And they actually cut the 1-2-3 with ammonia. Why? Because its cheaper than thinner.

But I digress.

Reactions: MarkJames

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Take it to a self serve car wash and gack up their vac and not yours.

Reactions: MarkJames

·
Registered
Remodel
26,561 Posts
Too Gone is safe for carpets. It's a relatively gentle cleaner in the world of strippers. Keep the doors open, it has a low flash point. You can use it to soften up the paint and get the pile loose with a stiff brush.

Ammonia will strip many paints and coatings. I also will react with some types of carpet fibers causing a color change and making them become slightly brittle if left on too long.

TSP will also remove latex paint, but it works slowly and will rust metal, plus it's hard to rinse out.

Denatured alcohol will dissolve latex, but I've only used this on a terry cloth to lighten shadowing as a final treatment. Carpet safe.

Something like this, I start with Goo Gone and use a brush that's similar to the prickly tops on carpet stain remover spray can caps to get it broken up. Let it soak, spray and scrub again. Keep doing that periodically until it's broken up. Then get serious about getting the paint out, which will take floodung.

Yes, ammonia is cheap and fast for flooding.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts