Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

121 - 140 of 179 Posts

·
Utah carpenter
31 Posts
Service Magic sucks

One of the things they do with exact match leads is when a customer calls them they recommend four contractors for the job. This means four contractors are charged for an exact match and the customer has not even reviewed your profile. It just makes SM 50% more money.

Apex Carpentry

·
Registered
146 Posts
so far i had four leads:

1. went to a kitchen remodel seemed like they were just getting prices.I gave them an estimate and havent recieved a call back.

2. Lead for a garage and the guy tells me he wanted a price but doesnt want to do any work for like 4 months

3. this lead i called and the guy told me he just wanted info and doesnt want to do anything

4. The last lead the people never answered the phone or never called back.

When talking to customer service people they wont give a refund.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Sm doesn't seem to work for Commercial only contractors... I'd try them again (tried for a few months 8 years back) but I've read a ton of bad press since.

Good for you though, I figure they have to be working for somebody somewhere!
Unless you mean small mom and pop store and occasional emergency service calls, contractors come to them.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
keep enforcing these OLL companies-

To all you reputable contractors---don't even think about joining up with these companies-,,,I want you to think about this- seriously. The customers they bring don't know you from jack didly squat. It's all price shopping,,,,price shopping,,,,,price shopping, that;s the mindset of there customers. We hire only "Reputable contractors"- My A"", what a line of crap! You think they really give a crap about the credentials of there contractor clientèle. There objective is to prey on contractors for "what ever reason" that can't seem to get referral work on there own- and seem to be doing it in droves.

I hope you guys that are contemplating signing up with these OL services start to think about what is in your best interest. What you are getting on value for dollars spent promoting your business. I would bet that the numbers are in the red and not in favor of you statistically. Did you ever hear of "THE LADDERS" $100,000+ jobs- another greedy company- again , praying on people unemployed and desperate,,, again- you have to pay but there are no guarantees of coarse, and the fees are ridiculously high. If you have the credentials people pay you- BIG!

I would like SM and the like to go away naturally- meaning- "stop riding their bus", you don't need them! If you have operated your business with integrity and credibility-your business will prosper. Hands down,,, IMPO, the best way is through residual business through referrals and marketing yourself in the direction "you feel" would be the best way to get your business with an established name for itself. You know your business better than any outsider and you know what type of clients you want and don't have to settle for what they throw at you ,which is the worst type of client you could possibly want -from what I have heard they are all "COLD" more like frozen actually, price, price, price.. There is no relationship what so ever with the client, other than what you are paying to OLS's to get clients for you. - come on guys-WAKE UP!

They are trying to claim that "they" will find the the best contractor in your area for your project- "THERE IS $$$VALUE PLACED ON US AT THIS POINT"" I believe these "interested" in getting work done- "CORRECTLY AND LEGITIMATELY" should pay SM,AL and the like a fee for there service,- not us. Think about this for a minute,,,,,,,,
We - (if it was this way)would be the businesses that would be providing a service through SM,AL and what ever OLL company doing this,by making ourselves, as a reputable contractor, available to them -"We have a value dammit", which in turn would keep their business running- respectfully i might add. Sm and the like should be scrutinizing our company , checking insurance and licenses- what work we have done- verified, referrals, work portfolio and so on. They could also in turn ask for a certain percentage -finders fee,, 2% of the total project cost, depending on the size of the project,,,,maybe,,, I would have no issue with that at all. This is the type of client I want to meet with and would go out of my way for them. The way this is set up now- Kinds of reminds me of treating contractors like prostitutes in a way, but only it's back-wards -Write now your paying just to meet a client that you have no relationship with, other than money being exchanged to your pimp-and the odds are not in your favor no matter what client it is,,,.

If a client is in need of work and is "serious" about getting the job done correctly and they want a reliable , credible contractor out of the blue then you need to pay for the service to find them- not us! Remember - There claim is they will help find a reputable contractor in your area-So they do admit that there is a $$$$$value attached to us, so the interested party looking for a reputable contractor should pay- PERIOD!!!!!!, not us!

Let the hacks support them, pretty soon it is going to come to an end and that is fine by me,and maybe it won't but - either way it doesn't bother me that they exist at all - helps keep all the clients " I DON'T WANT", waisting my time and the "only" concern "again" is price. My time is extremely valuable to be waisting on people with this mindset. What bothers me is why are some of you doing this to yourselves- the hand writing is on the wall ,clear as day.
To sum it up-,

If you are a reputable contractor - "YOUR COMPANY HAS VALUE", a monetary value,,, which is why you are so reputable and well respected by others. So let the SM's clients pay if there so serious about getting the write contractor to do there project, and in turn we would pay SM a percentage (finders fee) at that time when the contract is signed and past the cancellation date expiration- that is fair to me. Everyone involved gets what they want and they would be looked at with much more respect. will it ever happen-who knows?

Think about it. You do have $$$$$valuable$$$$$$ service to provide don't you:rolleyes:
Brian

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Shawn

Festerized – Thank you for looking out for the other pros’ best interests. I’d like to point out that our XM advertising isn’t intended to steal your business name or to drive consumers to SM, by using your business name. The intent is to market your company online and drive consumers directly to you, advertising your business name and profile. Of one of the advantages of participating in Exact Match, we do filter out consumers not looking for your advertised line of work or coverage area (Tasks, Zip Codes). In this case, or when you’re not accepting leads, we advise the consumer that you aren’t available and offer to redirect to matched Service Professionals that are available.

Shawn
[email protected]
Shawn,
How in gods name do you sleep at night??????? must be difficult having to lay down so many formatted excuses all the time and then have to wake up with yourself and ruck through it again, but maybe it doesn't bother you. What you claim and what your company is actually doing are not in line with each other. Some of these contractors that have asked to be canceled from your service ,and conveniently for SM I might add, are having a difficult time getting this "cancel service" transaction executed- meanwhile you keep billing them, using their name, taking calls on there behalf, and nothing is getting done to stop this- it's pure greed Shawn!
Is it their problem that you have to much volume to deal with? your company obviously had it designed this way- If you are to have any credibility,,,,,,deal with it- hire more staff, whatever you have to do- but take care of this,it's capricious and arbitrary the way this is being dealt with and it's only getting worse. Weather you care or not you are hurting guys that are going through difficult times and unfortunately your company is surviving of the ones that made the unfortunate mistake of signing on with SM and didn't really go through reading everything- ( I don't blame your company for that), and now most are worse off than were they were before they signed on with SM.
Shawn - tell this to the high executives up there in the corporate world- You want to provide a truly "Credible and Valuable" service with qualified contractors and a reputable service. If these customers that are looking for Contractors are serious about getting professional work with professional results, have them pay you for your service- remember-Reputable contractors-screen all of them that want to be a part of the service that you offer. You get paid by the customer looking for the work and we in turn pay you a finders fee ( % of the job) - something more tangible, concrete- not goose chasing. What you're company is doing now is legal contractor prostitution gone wrong.

I have this feeling your CEO/board won't go for this- it would be to on the up & up and no room for mass money coming in hand over fist , meanwhile the working man gets it up the A"" with a bunch of garbage leads- like throwing darts on a board- once in a while you get a bullseye. For the most part your customers are only interested in price shopping ,Shawn-it's blatantly obvious. There is nothing in this that has any responsibility on the one looking for the service- Lets see how sincere they are about getting their work done professionally,make them pay as I said before- watch how much your business drops- granted it will, but do you have to be the biggest to be the best at what you do? It would be nice to say that you have an impeccable reputation for getting the best contractors and providing the best possible services-"guaranteed"- reliable and professional for your clients. It certainly would separate you from the rest of the OLLS's out there.

How did we get along with out the likes of your company before-it's called "WORD OF MOUTH AND REPUTATION" and it works very well if your established and produce quality projects from beginning to end. I know your corporate company could give a rats A"" about us - but if your any kind of a decent human being- get an occupation you can live with - morally!
Brian

·
Certified Remodeler
3,207 Posts
Your asking too much from Service Magic, they are trained and practiced to take your money, not to give you good leads.

Shawn from SM is a SM repair guy, he's very good at his job and his posts reflect that.

So its your money, you do a deal with them and its their money. Simple fact is they are pros at making money and its all done legally.

Are they dishonest? Read their contract agreement, I did and there is no way I would sign with those guys. If you agreed to the contract then you agreed, they warned you some of what they would do within that agreement, any lawyer would tell you "Caveat emptor", let the buyer beware.

Sorry guys, best you could do now is warn your friends to stay away.

·
David Festa
2,561 Posts
I had a rough day so I’ll keep this short and to the point
I have found ho’s requesting service thru SM are not educated in regards on how to use the web.
I think the general public needs to be educated on how to properly surf the web and how to use the web for services. Most of the SM requests are from a Bing or MSN search engine. Don’t they know Google is the better choice for surfing the web? This is why I can see a Hugh difference in the mind set of a HO request from SM to one of my other adverting methods.
I have been asking SM customers a few simple questions over the last year in regards to how they found SM and why they chose SM to provide their service.
1-most Ho’s use MSN search engine, because they don’t know how apply Google or what Google is
2-They used a simple keyword search such as contractor.
3- All customers commented on the guy that pops out and talks to you, making their experience personal.
4- Every single SM customer I talk to did not know the contactors where being charged for their contact information.
5- Most of the HO’s already have a local contractor who did work in the neighborhood and only wanted a second opinion.
6- Ho’s expect the lowest bid with the same quality work as the next contractor.

·
The Handyman
146 Posts
How did we get along with out the likes of your company before-it's called "WORD OF MOUTH AND REPUTATION" and it works very well if your established and produce quality projects from beginning to end. I know your corporate company could give a rats A"" about us - but if your any kind of a decent human being- get an occupation you can live with - morally!
Brian
OK I'll bite to get referals you have to first have work, how do you get word of mouth and reputation, if you have no work? To get started how do you get your name out there, used to be newspaper ads and yellow pages all of which take money? Sure they will work or used to before the WEB, but first you have to have an established business.

WHINE WHINE WHINE need some cheese with all that whining? SM knows what they are doing I am sure if any of us were smart enough to run a business that large we would be there running it, not sitting behind a phony name on a computer, complaining how someone else runs their business. If you could run your business as well as you tell others how to do it, you wouldn't have time to be here whining! Last I knew they had well over a thousand employees and growing. I have been there seen the operation and talked personaly to the ppl that you talk to on the phone. Dam fine friendly bunch of folks. In that many ppl there has to be a few rotten apples but for the most part some really great folks.

All this whining about SHAWN pisses me off more than any thing, only a few of you know him as I do, he is a hard working stiff like the rest of us. He draws his pay from SM, he don't tell them how to run their business rather they tell him how it will be done. But he luvs his job and has been there for a good while and isn't looking at doing any thing else. SM treats their employees good I have seen this first hand. Not many companies treat their employees as SM duz. They aren't just a number they have a name and a face. The day I talked to the VICE PRESIDENT he knew all the employees we talked to by name. How many companies that you would even recognise the VP let alone him know your name. I asked SHAWN how he deals with listening to a bunch of whiners all day long. He said at times it is tough but it is his job. Anyone notice that with all the complaints it is always SM fault? I am sure much is but it is far to easy to sit behind a puuuter use a name that no one knows you by and say I told them this and I said that. Yeah right be interesting to know what was really said. The ones that brag they told someone off are real winners, you have no idea who you are talking to, but mister MACHO chews on them. WHOOPIE DING what a BRILLIANT ASSHOLE ! If truth was known they probley never even belonged to SM or got their ASS throwed out the door and are mad.

The guy that says they use his site and their phone number how about some links to them sites. I don't see how SM or anyone else could hack into a yellow page add and change phone number. Not saying it can't happen but hard to believe without seeing.

Not defending SM or their way of doing business just get tired of all the ragging on SHAWN he is trying to help a bunch of UNGRATEFUL ASSES. He has left the door open to help with problems, you have problem call him. Someone was complaining about some thing from earlier, SHAWN said send him the info and he would check it out but without info his hands were tied. Sounds as if the DINGBAT got caught with his hand in the cookie jar and SHAWN called him on it.

HEY YA ALL have a nice day.

·
David Festa
2,561 Posts
Although I do not agree with SM’s unprofessional & unethical practices, I still give Shawn respect.
Shawn has helped me a few times and he knows I’m grateful for his help.

·
The Handyman
146 Posts
TIGER I could give a RATS ASS if you think I am crediable or not. I have gave my personal info on here before to show who I am. It tickles me you take the word of ppl that you don't know as gospel truth without knowing who they really are or the whole true story.

I don't really have much use for any thing else here. I have asked questions with no reply. I know what I am doing as far as my business If I need help or info I use YOU TUBE. It just pisses me the phoney crap that shows up here.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Why praise a company who does not do what they say they are going to do....even in the Commercials!!!!.......extensive background checks! That should be #1 on anyone's "list".

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Handyman,,,

hey,,

come on,,,,stop being so close minded handyman,,
look- If you read through this you see a lot of guys that have had nothing but disappointments and regrets- and that is understandably evident . You seem to have a good relationship with them- and it's working for you, It would be nice to see more success stories with SM, but the fact is there aren't that many and there won't be .All they need to do is place a certain percentage that have had success and everybody starts to knee jerk unfortunately and then they end up with waisted capitol and nothing to show for it other than frustration and no work. Someone I spoke with said they had better odds playing the lottery to be blunt. I know what there doing-and it's absolutely wrong- do you have any idea how many other contractors in your area your competing with that are not only SM members, but other OLLs's as well.
like I said earlier My thought is let the customers pay- you want a credible company that you depend on,- you should have to pay for that type of exclusive service-I'm not going to pay for that , I'll pay after the project is completed:thumbsup: that's fair to me,,FF.
reminds of family that always want you to do work for them for practically nothing - if you think about it- they aren't really supporting you or your business, are they, more like they are trying to take advantage of the situation- and that is what pisses me off- BIG TIME!, . If it was my kid and he was doing my bathroom- I would pay him more than I would another professional, and then some-you believe in them and you want them to succeed!. Don't get me wrong- I help my family out, but when it becomes a major project- that's where the line gets drawn in the sand, time = money
That is sort of how I look at this situation- these OLL's are taking advantage of the current economic crises- no wonder there overloaded, think about it - work is slow all over yet they keep coming in to SM and the like . There is not enough work to go around -period, look at the unemployment rate, look at the financial crawl in the construction industry- numbers don't lie- people do.

The law of averages is up against anyone that signs on to companies that feed OLL's ,that is one major reason why I think you would be making a huge mistake by signing up with a service like this in todays economic condition. There are stories of 10,12,14 bids that they a contractor had to compete with, almost all of them from SM, and it's all about price with these type of clients. What is SM "Really about" . Who the hell doesn't know someone that is a contractor, friend of a friend, friend of someone from the family- come on,,,,,IMO they are taking advantage of a lot of desperate companies that are really hurting in the red and need to get something to fill the gap , I believe that what they are doing is totally immoral. Just because half the population has given up on morals with companies and there motives doesn't mean we have to accept them because it's business as usual-you fight back by not backing them up,,,,,,, and we do have control , as long as we stop relinquishing it to some other entity.
So ,
You may be part of the SM contractors that have had success and I think thats great for you, but it's been really bad on far more than good. So try not to get so fired up because most are giving SM the thumbs down. If it was you in that pair of shoes- you would be quite upset as well and not to happy with your decision. So try to have an open mind about it- I'm glad things worked out for -your one of a very limited amount with a success story experience:thumbsup:
Brian

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
I will give Shawn his props for even showing up here and on other forums, and sticking it out with all of the negativity. I wouldn't want his job. I also don't think I could do his job.

And for you guys that say it's working for you by the using you, congrats and I know I you feel. I was once one of you. But I feel I learned better and will never again be in that club.

Seriously, they are not hacking in to your YellowPage.com and changing anybody's phone number to theirs. But if you don't already have one and you sign on for XM the're not shy about setting one up using your name and their phone number. And it's not just YellowPages.com, it could be any of the local search engines or a slew of other internet presences. They also have the know how and the staff to keep their listings on the upper ends of search results and that includes searches for your exact company name.

Somebody knew somebody that hired that real nice handyman and liked him. They don't have your card but want to hire you too so they enter your name into the search box and there you are on top of the page. Dialing the number they talk to a real nice voice that says sure they'll let you know to contact them. Big Gorilla bangs your credit card like a Saturday night date and turns you on to the contact info for someone trying to contact you directly. Or if your leads are turned off they sell it to someone else x4, Saturday night just became a lost weekend for the gorilla and they used someone that was trying to find you.

Maybe one Monday morning you wake up and realize what's going on and decide you've had enough, so you quit. They'll make it tough to do because they love your card. It will be you that maybe needs to adjust your lead preferences or work harder at responding quicker, maybe read some of their helpful literature on business success. But you persist and eventually prevail, cut the cord to your card. Move on now and run your own website and marketing campaign.

There is a ghost out there and you may not know it. Your name is still all over the web with their phone number. They have no reason to take it down because people looking for you and ending up with them is not so bad for them. When you leave the flock you must be diligent and seek these ghosts out. You can contact the administrators of the sites in question and ask that the info be corrected. It will be up to you to verify to them that you are who you say but many of them will comply because they wish to be accurate. If they don't or won't then you can post comments explaining that the listing contains incorrect information, here is the correct contact info and you are working to correct the listing.

They used to have a forum just like this one (only smaller) and had to close it down because it became a feeding frenzy of their own customers complaining. I was a member and don't recall Shawn ever showing up there. Only rarely would anyone from their outfit post and then the mob would turn on them and they went silent. Instead of listening to the pockets that pay them they shut down the forum. How's that for customer service?

Take a look at the number of nay sayers on any forum where the subject is brought up. Then count the number of supporters. I realize that this is not proof of anything, but what do you suppose the odds are that they are looking out for long term customers? They will thrive in this recession because so many out of work people will think their hammer is their salvation to making a decent living and unknowingly turn to them to bring in the customers. A constant supply of fresh meat means they have to have no concern for long term retention. They will thrive and make big bucks doing it.

Now if I am whining, so be it. I'll take a nice aged cheddar please.

And quit talking about phony crap while learning your contracting skills on YouTube.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Well Said

Very well thought out and well spoken David:thumbsup: yes the odds are way against you with this. - I definitely con cure!

·
General Contractor
7,898 Posts
You have to be in it to win it, anymore suckers like to place a bet with SM? :whistling

I would, but I joined Gamblers Anonymous :laughing:

Attachments

·
The Handyman
146 Posts
DBALL2008 any chance you can back any of this up with some linksI really doubt it happens but hey stranger things have happened. I hear what you are saying now is show time.

service magic will give you bogus leads... and if you have any on line marketing already, they will hack in too it! They will steal your name put their phone number on it plaster it all over the internet in all on line phone books, search engines and false web sites in your company name! Then instead of giving you the leads they will drive them to others that have been with them! When you try and cancel they will still use your company name with a phone # that is not yours! Your good name will be lost forever and your repatation with your company name will be destroyed! What they end up doing is putting you out of business!
And I like what he has posted so far on SM they are complete crooks and even worse! They have plastered my business name all over the internet with (their phone# number on it) not my number... Even in ads that I pay for like yellowpages.com SM has hacked into their system (yellowpages) and re-routed my calls to their site and are now answering the phone calls using my company name then selling my customers (my Leads) to their existing contractors as there leads... I had a customer that I have done work for over the past 20 years... My customer was trying to call me... he did not have my number on him so he Google it and some how got a number he did not recognize... when he called it they answered in my company name! He (my customer) asked for me and was told I was not available:no:... but they (SM) could get him a screened contractor for what ever he wanted!
Later my customer had gotten a hold of me and told me the story... Mind you... I had asked to be removed from their services and I no longer wanted their services... So anyhow I called the number that I also found online.. Called it and sure enough they answered in my company name! I was completely floored my jaw hit the floor... I could not believe it! That’s Identity Theft! Fraud! So I googled my company name and found it to be under about 20 different web sites and address listings with "my company name" and "their phone number"! I have a nice web site and we were getting all kinds of traffic to it! I did not need their services (SM) because between my repeat and referrals I was getting tons of work... But like a lot of businesses I would like to grow and hire and have work to keep good men employed as happy secure employees...
With 20 different sites puting up a link to a few should be no problem. Besure and have the phone numbers, If I am wrong I appolige in advance but I'm betting you can't do it.

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
Handyman, I am telling you straight out that the last straw for me before I quit the 800 lb. gorilla was when I entered my exact company name into the Yahoo search box. I came up in the top 3 on page 1 with a phone number I did not recognize. I clicked the link and was taken directly to their website and was invited to enter my information so that they could connect me with a pre-screened qualified contractor.

Can I make this any plainer for you? I searched my exact company name and discovered a bait and switch. How many times have potential clients done the same thing and then the contact info was sold to me and others? No way to know, but you cannot deny the potential. How would you feel if I used your business identity and redirected the inquiries to my website? Is there any reason that I would deserve to reap benefits off the efforts you have put forth to build a good reputation? If there is then lets just cut to the chase here and you start sending me checks.

You want a link? Tough. I took the necessary steps to have the incorrect info removed and set mine in it's place. Your over-sized parasite friend didn't make it easy.

If your comfortable running with this kind of team, go for it. But I would advise anyone that is not enjoying stellar results, with this or any lead provider, to quit sending them your money. Sooner is better than later. Invest in your own marketing, it will probably cost less and produce better quality.

Good Luck
Dave

121 - 140 of 179 Posts