Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so I go out this morning to do a quote- crown, baseboard. HO (east indian gentleman) is not sure what he want's where- took about an hour to get him nailed down on the main floor. Ok, so I measure and figure - then upstairs - do the bedrooms, no don't, well maybe you should- ?????? don't do the bathroom, (later on) oh the bathrooms is included yes?
so then I figure it out, I am getting that "shell game" feeling. He goes back and forth, then back downstairs, include this exclude that, no wait lets do this (again) sigh... I am not sure if he was just wishy washy or very clever at trying to confuse me- he did!!! so I reverted to the "$50/hr" x how ever long it takes LOL man I didn't hit that wall for 2 hours! he had me spinnin there for a bit :D guess he had great fun. Then the quote for the upstairs he repeated it back to me $200 bucks less than what was written on my estimate!
but wait! there's more! (always wanted to say that :D)
he wanted my take off on the lengths of material so he can "purchase the right amount" uh yea. I gave him the totals, but not the room by room, piece by piece that he was hoping for. I figured, hey if he want's to get other quotes, good- but let them do their own measuring.
oh well, I guess it was a fun morning :D hey it could'a been raining!

·
Registered
243 Posts
In some cultures it's all about haggling. Drove me nuts with certain customers until i figured out the game. Now, with customers whom i know will haggle because it's part of their culture I add enough to drop the price twice. Seems like you always have to drop the price twice and act like it's killing to do it. Some of them have turned out to be great customers once I knew how to play the game!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
In some cultures it's all about haggling. Drove me nuts with certain customers until i figured out the game. Now, with customers whom i know will haggle because it's part of their culture I add enough to drop the price twice. Seems like you always have to drop the price twice and act like it's killing to do it. Some of them have turned out to be great customers once I knew how to play the game!
I agree. It seems some cultures its kind of non partriotic to agree to a price without haggle. Like they would be giveing the impression that their race were a bunch of pushovers.

Cheers Jim

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya, I guess I have to see this as a learning opportunity. There's a couple hundred thousand east indian folks living in this region, so I imagine that learning a bit of bargaining would be a good thing.

thanks for the advise guys :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts