Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm starting up a general home services business and I was wondering what you guys spend the most money on each month (i.e. specific materials, tools, etc) and a rough estimate of the money spent. Not including labor or gasoline as that is obvious.

I'd also like to know if you have any problems or complaints with the materials/tools you're using now that I should watch out for.

I'm trying to create a business plan and advice from pros would really help me. Thank you so much guys!

Best,

Sean

·
Punching above his weight
10,866 Posts
Oh also, if you haven't done so already, fill out your location and trade, then make an introduction thread in the new members sub-forum. It gives people a better idea of how to best answer your questions based on the market you're in and yadda yadda.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My company has various divisions (roofing/siding, handyman, home improvement/renovations, landscaping, etc).

I have many years of experience running service-based businesses, but not directly in contracting. I will be hiring a staff of professionals, along with managers to keep things running smoothly.

My goal in this thread is to better prepare/budget for the expenses that await. I would just like some insight on what the more established pros here spend on their most regularly used items/materials.

Thanks!

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
My company has various divisions (roofing/siding, handyman, home improvement/renovations, landscaping, etc).

I have many years of experience running service-based businesses, but not directly in contracting. I will be hiring a staff of professionals, along with managers to keep things running smoothly.

My goal in this thread is to better prepare/budget for the expenses that await. I would just like some insight on what the more established pros here spend on their most regularly used items/materials.

Thanks!
You may find going from running a janitorial company or a baskin robbins to fixing every mechanical and structural system in a residential home has more complexity and risk.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Probably should start out with WC,liability,overhead,profit,utilities,vehicles,did I mention several types of insurance?You do have WC and contractors liability don't you?Did I mention profit?Not trying to be a smartass but you really don't seem to have a clue for someone starting a business.
Maybe you could introduces yourself and start from scratch?
If your money each month is obvious to you how do you expect us to know?"Tools are a perconel preference and has nothing to do with operating costs of a business.
Call me . I get tree-fiddy hour.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I don't want to be a Debbie downer but IMO you're screwed. You're going to hire people to run the work and manage everything for you?

Ok well to answer your question, you'll be spending all your money on lawyer fees and court costs. That is if there's anything left after your staff of "professionals" gets done bending you over. Best of luck!:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
I would just like some insight on what the more established pros here spend on their most regularly used items/materials.

Thanks!
Wire, conduit and fittings, and wiring devices.

I also know my tile guy spends a lot of money on tile setting materials and my plumber spends a ton of money on copper and fittings, and my painter spends tons on paint, and my drywaller spends a good chunk on drywall, and the carpenter spends way too much on lumber and trim materials.

Anything else you need?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
The largest single expense that most businesses face after payroll is taxes. If there aren't many employees and thus payroll, then rent could be the biggest expense.

My biggest expense is mileage, then supplies or materials. I have a difficult time deciding what is a supply and what is a material. My accountant told me he took a 3 day course to decide what a supply and a material is. So I generally just guess.

·
Registered
37 Posts
BTW, my main expense at the moment are anti-inflammatory drugs to relieve the back pain bought on by the stress of dealing with the "professionals" who seem to be incapable of reading plans or remembering what I told them 10 minutes ago.
Perhaps its just me.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
BTW, my main expense at the moment are anti-inflammatory drugs to relieve the back pain bought on by the stress of dealing with the "professionals" who seem to be incapable of reading plans or remembering what I told them 10 minutes ago.
Perhaps its just me.
I take Ibuprofen like Skiddles lol
(Not really, but do take about 600mgs everyday)

·
Ron
70 Posts
60k startup tools at minimum and it dosent end there. You will need to replace dime tools every so often. But what a silly question to start with. Maybe sub contracting will work better for you.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
60k startup tools at minimum and it dosent end there. You will need to replace dime tools every so often. But what a silly question to start with. Maybe sub contracting will work better for you.
I think few people confronted him since he is one of the very few who knows how to use advice/advise in the proper context.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts