Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to protect an existing hardwood floor, we are going tobe tearing out the old lathe and plaster ceiling. I am thinking thick cardboard, Any better ideas?

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Years ago I had to protect a pure white marble floor. We covered it with grey felt paper, then a layer of commercial grade underpadding, then a layer of half inch spruce ply. We duct taped the plywood seams.

Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I've become a real fan of carpet protector,It's a 30" wide roll of scotch tape.

Not for use on wood ,but it sure takes the worry out of a carpeted area.

That post has some good(cheap) ideas . Good luck--MIKE--

·
Registered
30 Posts
As mikeswoods mentioned, the big rolls fo tape stuff works great and there is a blue one for hardwood: floor protection

However, we also started using this non-adhesive stuff when its an old floor or one we just don't want to put an adhesive on. tough as nails and waterproof too: reinforced kraft mask paper

If you need more impact protection, we just tape down soem extra cardboard here and there too.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
851 Posts
cardboard's great for covering hardwoods then a dropcloth. Just DON'T TAPE ANYTHING TO THE HARDWOOD FLOORS!!!~ I don't care what color the tape is

·
Dufus Extrodinaire
159 Posts
We use pool vynil and 1/8 masonite.

Ask a pool company for a few inground pool tear outs and cut them into large rectangles. They will give them to you for free all day long. Tough stuff/heavy as hell too

1 - 9 of 9 Posts