Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok. I'm closing in on finishing up a large remodel of my own home. We have a lot of 4" Juno IC1 housings in the place. We are planning on using a gimble trim in most of these housings. So, from looking at Juno's site it seems I can use a housing that fits a Par 20 bulb or an MR16 bulb. I realize the wattage is a bit different but no big deal. Planning on dimming all lights. Here is the question. As far as LED's go, what would be a better bulb style to have when using an LED? Also, since they are all dimmed is one style better at dimming than the other? I was looking at light bulbs and they had a list of recommended dimmer switches and the number of lights on a circuit ranged differently depending if it was PAR20 or MR16. I didn't go through all the technicalities of this, but if you guys need more info to provide an answer I'll give you whatever I can. Thanks, Nick.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,486 Posts
What lamp you go with will be determined first and foremost by whether it's dimmable or not.

Not all LED's can be dimmed.

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will use a dim able LED. That is a requirement. Just wondering if the MR16 bulb with a GU10 base is better or just a PAR20?

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,486 Posts
Not positive on this, but I believe that there would be more options with the par20 base, including the ability to install an incandescent, if you should ever desire to.

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was kind of my take. Also, since not all the lights are gimble trim, the par20 works with the baffle trim just fine.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
As far as adding incandescents, if you wanted to put in a few halogens, the MR16s are more attractive than the PAR20s (in my opinion).

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CarpenterSFO said:
As far as adding incandescents, if you wanted to put in a few halogens, the MR16s are more attractive than the PAR20s (in my opinion).
I agree. Looking at the specs they look a lot better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts