Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
WilsonRMDL said:
Stay in school. Unless you want to be Half crippled and always angry by the time your 40.

I'm only 25, but I'm on my way haha
Wilson you just made my day! :laughing:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I think I would like to start my own small contracting company once I finish college. I may change my mind, a whole lot can happen in my next three years of high school, but as for now that seems like the route for me to take. I've always wanted to be an entrepreneur, and contracting seems to combine that and some other things I love to do.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I like your enthusiasm and don't wanna seem like a downer but starting your own business right outta college isn't always the best of ideas.

I read a statistic on here that said something like 95% of newly opened construction companies go out of business within 5 years.

Working through college is one thing but I think there is alot to be learned from working with someone else for a couple years before going out on your own. It allows you to have steady income as well as someone who can teach you the ropes of owning your own business, before you go out and try it on your own.

School as im finding it is a good starting point but alot of what you need to learn you learn in the first few years of actually working full time in the field

This is just my opinion and whats been told to me when ive talked to a couple local guys I know. If you can pull it off though all the more power to you.

·
Administrator
24,070 Posts
I think I would like to start my own small contracting company once I finish college.
I would strongly advise against that, unless you're going to be swinging a hammer while also going to college. You not only need a business education; you also need a sense of how the work actually gets done by the workers in the field.

No better way than to be one of them for at least a while. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
FramerGuy19 said:
I like your enthusiasm and don't wanna seem like a downer but starting your own business right outta college isn't always the best of ideas.

I read a statistic on here that said something like 95% of newly opened construction companies go out of business within 5 years.

Working through college is one thing but I think there is alot to be learned from working with someone else for a couple years before going out on your own. It allows you to have steady income as well as someone who can teach you the ropes of owning your own business, before you go out and try it on your own.

School as im finding it is a good starting point but alot of what you need to learn you learn in the first few years of actually working full time in the field

This is just my opinion and whats been told to me when ive talked to a couple local guys I know. If you can pull it off though all the more power to you.
Yea that makes since to me, 95% is a big number. I wouldn't start FRESH out of college anyway, I didn't mean for it to sound like that. J is right, I'm going to need a lot of work on communication. I'm what you consider a hillbilly I guess lol, a modern day version.

·
Reet
429 Posts
Zach-

Very cool that you take this much initiative to look into a career at your age, i like the drive. I grew up working on projects with my dad, and started working for a contractor in high school. Honestly, as a freshman i said i would NEVER end up working construction. Looking back that is pretty funny because after i graduated from HS i started my business. I needed money to pay for college, and i knew i wasnt going to take out loans.

I now am 22 and do sales and estimating for a remodel company so i can focus more on finishing out my degree. However when i was contracting and managing a couple guys along with myself i was working 7 days a week..10-12 hours a day. My advice to you is this: dont get into this business just to make money. If you want to suceed and be happy you have to enjoy it. I see too many guys that are older in their 40's 50's even 30's who are just burned out and miserable. On the same token i also see alot of guys that are happy and have great lives.

Go work for someone and try it out. I bet you could find work as a laborer for a guy in the summer. If its not your thing you can always cross it off your list, but worst case scenario is you learned something you can use for the rest of your life.

Always keep an open mind, choosing a career is great. But its never too late to try something new or travel down a different path. A wise man told me to always follow my heart and be true to myself and everything else would follow

Best of luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Sorry I'm just now replying, it's been a busy day.
Haha, if I wanted a job just for the money I'd be a doctor like my mom wanted me to look into lol.

I do feel that this is something i'd enjoy though.
Like you said though, I am keeping an open mind. My teacher told me if I don't I might pass up opportunities I may never get again.

I'm gonna get my dad to ask his boss if I can come in this summer and work for a week or two. He's a really nice guy so I'd say he will let me.
He does mainly HVAC work and his son does electrical work. I think I could gain a lot from it.
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it very much.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts