Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m starting my construction company but, I don’t know how much does a salesman get pay. Commission? What percentage? Hourly? How much per hour? I need help from successful employers.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
You're starting a new company, and you're already looking to hire a salesman? Why not just sell by yourself for a while, since it's going to be difficult enough to get work without a track record. It'll be even harder with a "salesman" trying to sell "you", no?

Bob

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
GMB,
Here is some of the best advice you can get. Look up the local chapter of NARI (National Association of the Remodeling Industry) and pay your dues and join.
We don't want to see you on the local news for all the wrong reasons.

·
Registered
513 Posts
salesman

listen heres some advise take it or leave it. 1st thing is you had better have alot of paper work in order for this venture. prices to install as well as remove wrap cap add subtract !you get the picture ? keep in mind sales people need boundries to move inside of not outside of cause they'll do anything to make the sale at your expense and then try to sell you why they still deserve x amount on commission. and that reminds me commish, you better set up pay % on a scale such as if you sell for list you get% 5% off list for co promo you get this 10% ICS you get this%then measureing skills need to be taught or you'll run your butt off trying to figure out what they were thinking. finally you will have to invest in alot of training and managing material for you and foe them. thats only the tip of the berg so sugestion go out and buy a great sales cd and learn it yourself slowly as you gain experience put a program together and be ready for a salesperson who will knock on your door when things start going good for ya! also remember you will have to spend lots of time and money on leads to keep the sales person happy hope this helps vinylguy:furious:

·
Registered
2 Posts
A salesman could be the best investment you ever made or the worse, depends on how it works for you. If the guy is full time, a salary and comission between 5 to 15%, if no salary then commission up to 25 % is the norm. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
robcart said:
A salesman could be the best investment you ever made or the worse, depends on how it works for you. If the guy is full time, a salary and comission between 5 to 15%, if no salary then commission up to 25 % is the norm. Good luck.
25%?? 25% of what??? I surely hope you're not talking about the sales price, and even if you're talking about 25% of the profit of the job, that sounds pretty steep, unless you've adjusted your overall markup accordingly to cover that.

Bob

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
GSMB Inc. said:
I’m starting my construction company but, I don’t know how much does a salesman get pay. Commission? What percentage? Hourly? How much per hour? I need help from successful employers.
What type of construction? Remodeling? Are you experienced? You need to sell the jobs yourself otherwise you will be trying to figure out what the sales guy sold.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
There is too much to discuss and not enough information.

When I was a full time salesman, I was paid 25% of gross profit on each of my job, but I was more than just a salesman because I managed my projects as well. If I sold at my bosses price, it broke out to be 7% of the sale price, but I hardly ever sold as his minimums.

I pay my sales people at 11% of the sale price plus bonuses for hitting monthly targets. I pay zero salary. My sales guys sell residential roofing, siding gutters and windows. Quick easy jobs, also quick easy sells IMO. There is no managing of the production involved on their part either. I personally feel I compensate very well.

I have supplied my sales guys with price sheets for everything and leave zero guessing to them. I have also designed measurement sheets which directly correspond with the price sheets. It's very hard to make a pricing mistake unless they measure wrong. I have also written lengthy verbal presnetations and put together detailed presentation books with pictures etc... These are to be used as guidelines for the sales guys, but never to be used a canned pitch.

I also have base "systems" which I have put together for everything we do, which can be altered however the salesmen needs to write up a work order explaining to production exactly what needs to be done. Basically they just copy and paste the proposal and add any details that production needs to know. This way everyone is on the same page and the jobs run smoothly and there is no guessing... and if there is a question, the salesman's number is on the work order and the foreman calls him and asks.

If you are doing commercial work or building houses, or major remodels, I have found most guys are paid a salary plus a low commission. The sticker price is usually alot higher than the roofing siding we do, and usually take longer to close.

Will your sales guys also do the stimates and the managing or just the sales? I knew one company who had an estimator who did the print take-off's then a sales guy who "closed" the sale then a project manager who managed the project. Seemed very cumbersome to me to be honest.

As a previous poster said it could be a great investment or a huge loss. I have found most "Salesmen" aren't worth squat. There is always some craaazy drama involved with them. I had a huge loss in regards to salemen last year... I went through 5 before I found one worth keeping then as it turns out he had a drug problem and owed back taxes and child support.

This year I have trained someone who has zero sales experience, but has hands on experience and it's been working out so far.

·
Registered
513 Posts
right on grumpy, i agree with that whole post my case i also do windows siding vinyl decks railks sunrooms in and out easy fast ! i pay my sales manager 15% of sell price but he's got pricing perimeters that he can't go below if he does its on a scale from 15% to 5% why i pay him so good he's worth it! most are not i never give salary to easy for them to get lazy besides any saleperson worth their wieght wouldn't want on salary they know how to make the money and work hard and long to get it. my other sales man sell for the same prices but on a scale of 10% to 5% and let it be know they sell something wrong or promise something wrong they get peniliozed for it and we akll know they hate losing money. grumps right also about drama. they are a different breed of peole they all think the world revolves aroud them. so you had better be a good people person or handler how ever you want to say it. by the way i llove this site glad i found it learning alot and hopefully helping alot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I still think word of mouth is the best. I had signs on my vans and asked folks if I could put a sign in their yard. I usually had a job in the neighborhood before I left. That was mostly remodeling and paint. I ran a 1 inch ad in the yellow pages, think that got me 3 jobs in a year. WOM, do a good job, it'll get round.

·
unlicensed hack
1,087 Posts
Teddo said:
I still think word of mouth is the best. I had signs on my vans and asked folks if I could put a sign in their yard. I usually had a job in the neighborhood before I left. That was mostly remodeling and paint. I ran a 1 inch ad in the yellow pages, think that got me 3 jobs in a year. WOM, do a good job, it'll get round.

I like Teddo, he thinks like me :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts