Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
powder coating mogul
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I am in the process of starting a mobile powder coating , mobile media blasting company here in the Kansas City , MO area , and could really use some help designing an air supply system for my new 30X8.5 enclosed gooseneck trailer , in which , my dismounted Sullair 250 diesel air compressor will be located .

I had the trailer custom made to accommodate this compressor , with dbl. barn doors placed on either end of where the compressor will be mounted . I will need the air system to supply my problast pot , xiom 5000 system , breathing supply system , etc .

Thank you for your time , and I look forward to hearing from anyone interested in helping a young entrepreneur with his first business .

Sincerely ,

-Blake

·
Registered
470 Posts
Breathing air should be to OSHA requirements. That may require air monitering. There may be diminsions as to separations of intake and exhaust air. Interlocks may also be required.

·
powder coating mogul
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply , fireguy . As far as breathing supply , I bought a like new, remote breathing unit -rhineair- sourced from Boeing . It was used for guys to crawl inside of fuel tanks on airliners . The unit will supply air to my novi hood . It is powered by my compressor , but , will be located away from any diesel fumes , etc .

Unit -

http://www.rhineair.com/page11.html

·
powder coating mogul
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Compressor , trailer , etc .

Attachments

·
Todd
848 Posts
the compressor will definatly HAVE to be in the opening of the two doors and even then you will need the big round orange fans home depot sells like maybe two in front of the compressor and two on the sides of the trailer in the back pulling air out...also exhaust will be a problem so get it made up in stainless pipe and route it out and away from the box.i did mine similar to the way i am telling you to do yours but i only have one door on the side and the exhaust is piped out the the opposite side so i am sure there is no exhaust fumes coming back in the box...you might even want to incorporate a carbon monoxide detector...l

find you a place that builds hoses and have them make you hoses after you have all the compononets fixed.maybe stick your aftercooler on the roof or on the front of the trailer and have a fixed location to plug into outside the trailer.also the compressor will need a sleigh like cradle made to bolt it down and dont forget when it is being made to make sure the oil change and service fittings on the bottom are still servicable...keep us updated...

·
powder coating mogul
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
the compressor will definatly HAVE to be in the opening of the two doors and even then you will need the big round orange fans home depot sells like maybe two in front of the compressor and two on the sides of the trailer in the back pulling air out...also exhaust will be a problem so get it made up in stainless pipe and route it out and away from the box.i did mine similar to the way i am telling you to do yours but i only have one door on the side and the exhaust is piped out the the opposite side so i am sure there is no exhaust fumes coming back in the box...you might even want to incorporate a carbon monoxide detector...l

find you a place that builds hoses and have them make you hoses after you have all the compononets fixed.maybe stick your aftercooler on the roof or on the front of the trailer and have a fixed location to plug into outside the trailer.also the compressor will need a sleigh like cradle made to bolt it down and dont forget when it is being made to make sure the oil change and service fittings on the bottom are still servicable...keep us updated...
Thanks for the reply , blastserv .

I'm thinking about running the exhaust thru the roof of the trailer .

Great idea on mounting the after cooler in front of the trailer . I have just the place to mount it to . I had the floor reinforced with double 3/4 in. plywood and am thinking about isolating vibration from the compressor by mounting it on some type of industrial rubber mounts . I also had the trailer I beams placed closer together for mounting rigidity , etc .

The place where I feel the least comfortable is on installing the piping w/ drops , regulators , etc . I am thinking about running black iron gas pipe , or type K copper pipe for the main supply coming directly off of the compressor . I need someone that has up close and personal experience with this ! :)

Anti-vibration mounts -

http://www.vibrasystems.com/data/vibra_bobbins.pdf

http://www.vibrasystems.com/data/OSM-1-150_series.pdf

·
powder coating mogul
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I might be able to help you out. I'm in Central Iowa but come down towards the Kansas City area every once in a while. PM Me.
Great ! Thanks , pm sent .

·
Todd
848 Posts
i used a lathe made bulk head fitting through my floor and black iron fittings but used all flexible red air line just because they have swivel ends that allow for replacement with ease instead of pulling it all apart,plus they are able to go around weird angles too.i have a water seperator coming out of my after cooler wich i mounted both on the side under my truck so i can easily hook up the main airline and also so the aftercooler is away from the heat that is generated iside the truck.the water sperator also might want to be located so it drips its oily mess right on the ground instead of on your rig...keep everything in mind and plan it out first...

the compressor in my truck is laying flat because i didnt want to find it floating around in the back and was afraid the mounts would tear if i hit the right bump.it is mounted on 1 inch thick rubber sheets that is made for cement truck conveyers.hope this helps...

·
powder coating mogul
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have any pics , blastserv ?

thanks ,again

-Blake

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hey i have one of them 185 airmans and ive got a 100cfm as well just wondering can i link them together and be blasting with a mighty 285cfm im going to start building a trailer for all my gear soon

·
powder coating mogul
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

Nice ! ;)

I'm thinking about just going with the rubber mats -like you did- and then bolting the compressor down thru the plywood>I beam . I don't think vibration will be too serious of an issue ?

I like the rubber hoses you fitted , but , I would like to be able to be a bit more plug and play with my xiom system , blasting pot , vacuum , etc . Plus , I would like to be able to control the pressure accurately for each piece of equipment . I'm thinking I may as well use the length of the trailer to cool the air in the pipe a bit , drops for enhanced moisture control , etc . Maybe I am making things too complicated for myself ?!?!..hehe!

·
Todd
848 Posts
mine is bolted through the box bloor and then a metal bar is spanned across from one bolt to another but it spans across the metal support under the box.my worry would be the compressor coming loose.it is heavy and it had to be tightend a few times after it was bolted down.be careful.

good thought on the lenght of iron pipe aloowing for cooling but honestly i have never had an issue yet with mine but i do get water up in the traps on my pot but it has never stopped my from being able to work.keep up the good flow of thoughts...

·
powder coating mogul
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mine is bolted through the box bloor and then a metal bar is spanned across from one bolt to another but it spans across the metal support under the box.my worry would be the compressor coming loose.it is heavy and it had to be tightend a few times after it was bolted down.be careful.

good thought on the lenght of iron pipe aloowing for cooling but honestly i have never had an issue yet with mine but i do get water up in the traps on my pot but it has never stopped my from being able to work.keep up the good flow of thoughts...
Thanks again for chiming in . On my sullair compressor , the frame that bolts to the trailer is pretty thick c channel . I would think that if I bolt it down at 4 or six points that it wouldn't be going anywhere . I need to take some pics for you to look at .

-Blake

·
powder coating mogul
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yesterday , a guy from Kranz of Kansas City came out to look at my setup . He also said they just completed a similar setup a few days ago , and that I could come by their shop to check it out . We shall see..

http://www.kranzbody.com/

·
powder coating mogul
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well , thanks to Kranz , I finally got the compressor , after cooler , and lines installed . They did a great job i.m.h.o. , and for a very reasonable price .

Here are some pictures ....

Thanks again , everyone , for the help and suggestions .

-Blake

Attachments

·
powder coating mogul
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A few more ...

Attachments

·
powder coating mogul
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After cooler and water separator mounted in the front of trailer ...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts