Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a timer to turn a fan on and off at a pre determined interval. For example. I turn on the timer and it activates a fan. After lets say 20 minutes the fan turns off and then in 8 minutes it turns back on again. I need the cycle to repeat until I turn the unit off. The timing cycles I gave are only examples and will need to be adjustable as I don't know how long the fan will need to run until I start experimenting with it. I was looking in Grainger and found this. Does this do what I want it to do. The description of the device is vague. Or does someone else have another solution. Thanks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/controls2.shtml

Almost at the bottom of the page, they have this:

IGS-011 Repeat Cycle Timer with Photosensor

This cycle timer is capable of accurately cycling equipment in increments from 30 seconds to 30 minutes of "ON" time and 1 minute to 12 hours of "OFF" time between cycles. Timer has a built-in photosensor that cuts the timer off when it gets dark. Photosensor may be switched on or off as desired. It is ideally suited for irrigation, misting, drip, and ventilation controls to name a few. Solenoid valve is needed to automate most misting, drip, and irrigation systems. Timer plugs into a standard 110/120 volt outlet and has an outlet on the front for the device it will control (15 amp max)

I'm not sure if the one you found would do the same or not.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Leo,
That's an adjustable interval timer, with adjustable percentages. It should do the trick. If you wanted say 20 minutes on, & 10 off, you'd set the interval to 30 minutes, & then the percentage dial to 66%. I don't know how flexible your needs are, but that looks like a good choice without going to a plc control with relays, or a timer relay.

Paragon used to supply septic system aerobic motor timers, & are/were very reliable. I've been using them for 30 years. They typicaly use a 30 fixed minute interval, with adjustable on/off cycles.

The only problem might be that once set, they simply run their program. I don't believe you can reset to zero when you might want to, but I might be wrong. If you can deal with the cycle being off when you want to start, it should work.

Ormron also makes a very large range of relays & plcs that might work for you.

Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts