Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Hack
3,034 Posts
Looking for a good laptop that I can run chief architect without any issues?
I've got a stock Dell that runs it..... But it's only running Chief X2....
From what I found when searching; to run more current versions you can pretty much use any bog standard off the shelf gaming system.

·
Eater of sins.
4,784 Posts
I run a Powerspec laptop with an 8th Gen i7 CPU and a Geforce RTX video card.
It's a terrific setup, really.
I attached two 27" screens to it I have no trouble whatsoever with it.

If you are going to do any Ray tracing in the latest Chief program then I highly recommend the RTX card.

Chief has a new rendering engine that has this "Real-Time Ray Trace" feature that will seriously ray trace a good-sized window in literally 12 seconds. It still has the regular ray trace engine also but this new one is the ****.

Andy.

·
Design Build
9,257 Posts
What Andy says x2

CA runs on windows or mac so you have options.

Real-Time PBR is a windows only thing with RTX cards.
I upgraded my windows desktop to a RTX 3080 Ti to have access to that feature.
It's cool, but its not something I will use too much.

I have a new mac laptop coming in a couple weeks.
I will be using both as location dictates.

Chief is pretty cool. I wish you every success.
I don't know your experience with chief.
I'll help you out whenever I can.

17" beast mode

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve used chief architect for the last couple years, but my desktop is dying and I want the mobility of a laptop! In the image below I couldn’t get the brick to go to the cathedral ceiling or remove one of the original posts that would be removed during construction
Building Wood Interior design Flooring Floor

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,500 Posts
You're not going to get it at Best Buy. You need a serious graphics card to do that stuff quickly. Those RTX cards start at $330 for the basic and go up to $1500.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,500 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,500 Posts
Believe me, he will. Of course there are more expensive machines. The one I showed was $5K + but on sale.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whenever I work with Leo she always packs my lunchbox with extra treats!

i’ve been with her for 30 years and I’m too old to start this rodeo again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
as an update to this post I finally got chief architect loaded and it works like a charm on the new laptop, thanks for the help guys!
Which model did you end up getting? I'd be curious to hear how it works.

The thing that matters with Chief X13 is the Processor Speed, Amount of Ram, and the biggest it the graphics card. I recommend at least i7 (latest Gen), 16 gig Ram (64 is better), and RTX 3080 Graphics card. The RTX 3000 Series is what will run the new rendering in Chief. A Solid State Drive is also a must-have to load the programs. You can get a PCI drive for data storage.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Which model did you end up getting? I'd be curious to hear how it works.

The thing that matters with Chief X13 is the Processor Speed, Amount of Ram, and the biggest it the graphics card. I recommend at least i7 (latest Gen), 16 gig Ram (64 is better), and RTX 3080 Graphics card. The RTX 3000 Series is what will run the new rendering in Chief. A Solid State Drive is also a must-have to load the programs. You can get a PCI drive for data storage.
I put the link in post number 12, takes about 10 seconds to do a full rendering without any Hesitation!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts