Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

I need a handyman price list!

49K views 55 replies 12 participants last post by  Mike Finley 
#1 · (Edited)
#5 ·
hourly price

The handyman services in my area do not do estimates. A customer can get a ball park figure on time frame over the phone. They charge $75.00 per hour (with no partial hours, ex. 1 hour 15 minutes charged for two hours) plus materials reimbursment and a $25 truck fee. The truck fee covers the small part inventory they keep on their trucks for minor repairs. Therefore the minimum charge is going to be $100.00. They don't waiver on price and are always advertising for help. I don't know if this is replacement help or more help.

#6 ·
Mike F, I'm going to agree with mikes, I think that you have opened a real can of worms.
Here, by law, a garbage disposal and dishwasher requires an appliance tech. A toilet, a plumber and so on. Most contractors will report if they see you doing their work.
The main reason that people call handymen is because they expect to pay less than hiring a pro. Scheduling is nearly impossible as you get called in for a running toilet and end up changing a/c filters, lightbulbs, repairing downed towel bars and broken furniture.
I posted yesterday some of my early mistakes and this was one of them, I couldn't get away from it fast enough. Be prepared to meet some real winners. On the other hand, you'll never run out of material to post. LOL

#7 ·
MikeF, you know I am an advocate of subcontracting but I have to admit this is just one area where you are probably better off with an actual employee. Here in lies the problem. Can you keep him busy 40 hours a week?

I answer that question NO, not yet. That is the only reason I haven't hired someone for my roofing siding repairs. I think I really really could keep someone busy If I hooked up with a few property managers but that's on the backburner for now.

One other thing about handymen subs. Unless you are keeping them busy, they will have their own work to worry about as well. That means you have to fit your jobs in their schedule... that just doesn't work out very well. I tried it a few times and just gave up. Having to wait 2 weeks for a roof replacement is not bad. Having to wait 2 weeks for a repair of one single shingle is absurd IMO and customers just don't want it.

Just food for thought. If a die-hard paper contractor can't make sub contracting handymen work, maybe it can't work.

#8 ·
Mike Finley said:
the handyman ad I placed is generating phone calls now. I don't want to do these jobs
Huh? Why'd you place the ad if you don't want the jobs it generates?

I think YOU could make it work with your keen grasp of marketing and appreciation of matters logistical. The handyman failures I've seen approach their service like a hobby - not a business. They don't manage workload and can't keep a backlog, constantly falling short on schedule committments while bouncing between feast and famine.
IMO, hourly rate dude - no estimates, no partial hours. Cost plus a fee on materials. Maybe a high 'not to exceed' $ figure for those souls that just can't make a descision without a number in their head. If it turns into a 'side' job its days are numbered.

#10 ·
PipeGuy said:
IMO, hourly rate dude - no estimates, no partial hours. Cost plus a fee on materials. Maybe a high 'not to exceed' $ figure for those souls that just can't make a descision without a number in their head. If it turns into a 'side' job its days are numbered.
I really think that's the way to go. I try hard as heck to do that with all repair estimates unelss they are directly near to me. In those cases I don't mind meeting my neighbors for a few minutes.

#11 ·
Mike,
Check out the December 2004 issue of Professional Remodeler. The article is titled "Specializing in Small Projects", and relates to a Glenview, Ill. remodeling GC that started a handyman division. If the information is accurate, you may be on to something.

#16 · (Edited)
I understand that a ringing phone is the life-blood of a contracting business, but let me say again, dealing with handymen is like trying to herd cats.

Hire qualified subs to do the work that subs are supposed to do, and pay their price. They're well worth it. Handymen play a different role in the business, they don't work out well as subs.

Teetor is right, if you try to use handymen as subs you will have lots of funny stories to post here.

Best regards,

#18 · (Edited)
Craig said:
Mike/Grumpy
Go to www.housingzone.com/article/CA485458.html. Hope it is useful.

It sounds nice, but is in my opinion, B.S. I've seen this all my life. Huge success! then, poof...gone.

I can hire good subs for less, and I don't have to worry about keeping them busy.

Mike,
You will end up with 10 bzillion call backs. When you arrive on the sites you will see the dumbest s#!t you ever saw in your life. After a while you will find out why people hire a sub to do a sub's work.

#21 · (Edited)
That's the whole point I made above about find a handyman sub. Most of the handymen I spoke with don't want to be subs. Most customers don't want to wait a couple weeks for repairs. Most of the handymen I spoke with had 2-3 week back logs.

If I were going to do this I would need a sub or two who could get work done the next day. That's unrealistic to expect from a sub, unless I was their only customer.

#25 · (Edited)
You are right that's not the way it works, which is my whole point. But it doesn't work the way the customer needs it to work. That's why subs don't work in a situation like this.

I just don't see any way to make subs work in a situation like this and you backed my opinion by agreeing with me then tried to argue. Wow that confuses me.

Roofing replacement and roofing repairs are two seperate beasts all together.

Weather they work at a loss or not makes no consequence to me really. If they aren't motivated for the wages they are asking, they should ask higher wages. If they aren't motived to do the work when I need them to do it then I can't work with them, bringing me back to square one. Subs don't work in a situation like this.

#26 · (Edited)
Repairs and replacements are two different beasts.

I don't do small repair jobs in order to land larger jobs later. I have found that for me, it chews up too much of my time, and my overhead eats me alive. I know that doing things this way might cost me some business volume, but I seriously doubt that it's costing me any profit. I let the "other guy" do these small jobs, I usually still get a good shot at the "big job" anyway. Not only that, repair jobs are usually a waste of money for the customer. Their money is better spent doing the "big job" in the first place. I'm not trying to compete with handymen. Their role in this business is different than mine.

I do send subs to my customers to do small jobs, but I don't deal with scheduling, pricing, or micro-managing. I also don't accept any money from the subs for these jobs, that's a conflict of interest. I get paid to represent the customer, not the sub. These jobs are not supposed to be profitable for me, I just make sure that I am sending a competent sub to them, that's all.

Subs come when they can, not when you order them to. They are self-employed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.