Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Remodel
29,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Radial arm saws are pretty much dinosaurs - just about everybody has gotten rid of them. Too big and heavy to haul to a site was what I always thought. I never knew there were 9" radial arm saws. Old ones, but they're luggable by one person. You can see where this is going - I may be doing an about face on RASs for job sites. So I picked one up, and I'm getting ready to tune it up and see what it will do. It's an old Craftsman 9".

Sometime old saws surprise me with how good they are, we'll see.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
For awhile craigslist had a lot of old delta ras. I thought about getting one. Even found a old ras book from the 70's and learned a lot about them.

Still undecided

·
Registered
Remodel
29,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been seeing 10 inch RAS on Craigslist for years for $75-175. Every once in a while a 14-16" one is up for sale. I'll see how it does on trim and take it from there.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I gave mine away, too bulky and takes up too much room. Mean sob for throwing boards too if a rookie was operating it.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I gave mine away, too bulky and takes up too much room. Mean sob for throwing boards too if a rookie was operating it.
Exactly why I haven't used one in years. The now obsolete 9" ones take up about as much room as a SCMS, with the advantage of being able to do rips and dados.

The big question is how accurate/smooth of a cut can I get off of an old relatively lightweight one. Getting blades for one is a whole other issue...

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Exactly why I haven't used one in years. The now obsolete 9" ones take up about as much room as a SCMS, with the advantage of being able to do rips and dados.

The big question is how accurate/smooth of a cut can I get off of an old relatively lightweight one. Getting blades for one is a whole other issue...
Then get a 10 inch guys like me give them away.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I even gave away the dado blade I had for it.

·
I like Green things
23,031 Posts
I have two Dewalt 925's with the 3/4 hp motor and 9" blade. Blades are not hard to get, but you won't find them on the shelf at HD.

I did drag one to a job, left it set up outside the whole time. Strapped a tote over it. Too heavy for the common criminal to steal.

Personally, I love those little 9" ras.

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
Radial arm saws are pretty much dinosaurs - just about everybody has gotten rid of them. Too big and heavy to haul to a site was what I always thought. I never knew there were 9" radial arm saws. Old ones, but they're luggable by one person. You can see where this is going - I may be doing an about face on RASs for job sites. So I picked one up, and I'm getting ready to tune it up and see what it will do. It's an old Craftsman 9".

Sometime old saws surprise me with how good they are, we'll see.
There's one (also Craftsman) out in the tractor shed. Last used in 80s for cedar siding installed at an angle on a dental clinic.

Can't imagine what I'd use it today for...

·
Registered
Remodel
29,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have two Dewalt 925's with the 3/4 hp motor and 9" blade. Blades are not hard to get, but you won't find them on the shelf at HD.

I did drag one to a job, left it set up outside the whole time. Strapped a tote over it. Too heavy for the common criminal to steal.

Personally, I love those little 9" ras.
That's what I'm thinking. This one's an old Craftsman, so maybe it'll cut and maybe it won't. First I have to replace the table.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There's one (also Craftsman) out in the tractor shed. Last used in 80s for cedar siding installed at an angle on a dental clinic.

Can't imagine what I'd use it today for...
If it's one with no blade guard, there's a recall. I think you get $100 for it:

http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/

I'll take the blades:whistling

The one I have in under recall, but I'm not giving it up unless it doesn't cut well, or it turns out I really need to have a TS on site. I'm thinking I can get by with the RAS and just my circ saw with guide. One trip to my truck instead of two.

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
If it's one with no blade guard, there's a recall. I think you get $100 for it:

http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/

I'll take the blades:whistling

The one I have in under recall, but I'm not giving it up unless it doesn't cut well, or it turns out I really need to have a TS on site. I'm thinking I can get by with the RAS and just my circ saw with guide. One trip to my truck instead of two.
Don't even remember if it's a 9 or 10 inch...

Seriously, a recall on a 40-50 yo saw?!

I do recall that I got it cheap, because the guy had it at the flea market, but had driven it there without locking down the arm. The arm swung, breaking these cast iron stop-things inside the column.

All I recall, except even with a RAS, it's a PITA to cut every steenking damned cut of every damned steenking cedar clapboard on those odd angles - AND every board had to be perfect, because the building was finished in semi-transparent stain.

But oh man, was it boo-tiful!!!

Reactions: hdavis
1 - 14 of 14 Posts