Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really suck as a salesman. When I go to a jobsite, I listen to the customer, as a few insightful questions, deliver a price and basically ask them when they want to schedule the work. I do very good work but I think it's disingenuous to gush about my abilities so I just spit out a price and hope I get the job. I have no idea how to sell or how to close.

Any suggestions? Books? Podcasts? I need help.

Thanks in advance. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
You haven't convinced me you need help . . . :laughing:

Just kiddin', - - maybe Finley or one of them will come along with some advice.

·
Web Dude
153 Posts
Gitomer is money in the bank. Start with the Sales Bible, then get the "Little Book..." series.

He sends out a weekly email newsletter every Tuesday, completely free, packed with nuggets. Has some audio stuff too that's good. Anyways, he's not very dry, pretty funny, easy to read.

Check out the Sales Bible at your library first, but I bet you'll buy 'em.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I really suck as a salesman. When I go to a jobsite, I listen to the customer, as a few insightful questions, deliver a price and basically ask them when they want to schedule the work. I do very good work but I think it's disingenuous to gush about my abilities so I just spit out a price and hope I get the job. I have no idea how to sell or how to close.

I have always found being your self works out better than trying to be some kind of BMW wideboy sales person. I have meet so many guys in this trade that can talk the talk but very rarley walk the walk. Having the gift of the gab helps for sure. When you walk around the house look for things the customer and you have in common. It's a good way to start up a convosation and make them feel more like someone they know rather than someone they are hireing. Also stay away from telling them about how impressive your warrenty is and how much insurance you have as it puts doubts in their mind from the start that they may have problems. Learning to use a program like Sketchup can also get you customers you wouldnt normally get. I like to knock up a quick scale layout of the final product if worthwhile and this alone impresses the customer enough to win some bids.

There's no perfect way to win the customer over though.

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
BC has posted some great info.

I tend to do the small talk thing naturally with potential clients. If you are too blunt, they will not feel comfortable with you.

Take an interest in their tastes, their kids and pets, and especially their goals.

It's a charisma thing, and if you change your mindset to focus in on what the customer wants, and not how "great you are" the customers tend to respect you.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, I'm gonna look into those books you suggested. :thumbsup: I appreciate the advice.

·
Designer/Contractor
5,398 Posts
Zig Ziglar really does have some good advice and techniques. I'm not sure if I got this from him or from another source but I learned that it's not a bad idea to mirror how the client's basic emotions are. Don't mimic them but, say if they are rather slow and methodical and your natural tendency is to be more like a jack rabbit, then slow down in your presentation a little and go over things a little more methodically than you would normally would. I think it's smart not to try to be anyone than who you are but by doing the above when applicable I don't think it can hurt and might help.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you are not comfortable with patting yourself on the back, why not let your previous clients do it for you. I have always found that a happy client is more than happy to write a recommendation or testimonial on my behalf. Combine that with some photos, and you've got a little promotional presentation to give to potential clients. Instead of having to "sell" yourself and your work, that document can do it for you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think you are on the right track. As suggested, add some small talk at the beginning to put the person at ease. You could also send out some marketing materials about you and your company before the appointment. That way you can sell your company before you even arrive. You could include testimonials from past customers and photos of projects you've completed, some interesting articles, and all of your credentials.

I really think the most important skill a salesperson can have is the ability to listen. Ask probing questions. Let the person tell you what he or she wants and why.

BTW, I love the book, How to Sell Anything to Anybody by Joe Girard. That's a classic!

Regards,
Annette

P.S. Don't give up!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I felt the same way you currently do, about one year ago. I posted something in regards to that on here. I caught a lot of constructive criticism in that thread. I decided from that point on, it was time to make some changes. I started reading sales books and attending classes. What a change it has made for me! I have and will continue to educate myself on all subjects relative to this industry, and have come to realize you can never be over educated on any subject. With this self training (in a way) I have truly started to excel in sales and customer relations. I'm happy with the direction I went on this, and have a few tips that could help you.

These are all things I have learned over this past year.

Always try to meet with both decision makers. This cuts down on confusion when details are being relayed.

Confidence + Knowledge + Enthusiasm = Control and Control = the sale

Take notice to unique items they have, compliment them and make comments on them. This will generate general conversation and help to develop a relationship

Build a relationship with them and maintain it. Set your appointment then call about 30 mins before and follow up the day after. Keep in constant contact.

I'm not sure how I feel about this one - Sell yourself before anything else. Sit down with the customer before you look at the work and tell them about you and follow up with info on your company. Ask them about their expectations and what their concerns are. You are selling a solution to their problem.

Ask questions about what they want done. Remember you can never be too thorough. This will help to show your knowledge in the given field.

Achieve a budget with them. Give a ballpark figure before leaving. Always stay within their budget. Ask "if I can produce a mesh between your desired scope, your investment and my ballpark, what is the next step?

Be clear on what you will provide them with. Sit down and go over your proposal and engage them on the review of the given proposal.

Lastly, ask for the sale... IE... "As we work together"

Continue to keep contact, even after the contract is signed. Don't let them feel buyer’s remorse. Follow up a few days after the contract and tell them what you are doing. IE... I started ordering _____ materials and they are due to arrive in X days/weeks

I hope this helps you, as it has help me tremendously over the last year.

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
Good post by TaitINC above with good advice. We follow a basic pattern with each prospect, sell yourself first, sell your company next and only after those two sales is the time to sell your product.

Basically if they don't like you they are not going to buy anything from you. So compliment them on their house, pet the dog, interact with the kids, etc. Keep it loose and comfortable, be yourself.

Once they like you then sell your company. Same goes, if they aren't comfortable with your company they will not buy from it. References, proof of insurance, photo portfolio of similar projects will go a long way here. We now use a slide show on the lap top in lieu of the photos. Ask them if this is the type of company that would like to do business with.

A huge question that helps me decide if we are a good fit is this, "How will you know when you have found the right contractor for this project?". Listen carefully to the answer. They will tell you what they need to hear in order to push the buy button.

Lastly sell your product. They've gotten comfortable with you and your business, now it's a matter of affording you. Make yourself the best value for the money. (won't be the cheapest price)

Good Luck
Dave

·
Captain of the Titanic
708 Posts
ya gotta lift weights and listen to maria karry before each meeting :shifty:
That will get you motivated but maybe in places you may not have thought of:eek:

·
Captain of the Titanic
708 Posts

First, dont be so hard on your self. Like everyone else said, you arent too far off.

Second, even the best sales people are having thier a$$ handed to them now so again, dont be too hard on your self.

Third, theres a butt load of sales tapes and books out there. I am not a reading fan so I'll buy books on tape and listen while i drive around.

Fourth, if and when you do make a somewhat difefrent sales presentation dont forget: its about the client not you so dont bragg about the crap you've done. Talk about what your going to do for them and let your references do the bragging for you.

BTW, i may have you beat as a crappy sales person.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Probably a confidence problem

Sounds like you need to get your confidence level up. Positive attitude and confidence sells. You say you do good work that should be all the boost you need.
keep assuming the sales and stop going to appointments worrying about closing
just go make sure you have everything you need to feel confident to show your work and ability ... laptop, pics, insurance, contracts, dressed appropriately etc.
give each appointment your best "performance"

tip: look at each appointment as if its practice thats what got me going.
also a lot of people hate the idea of sales presentations but they can go a
long way to help you stay on point and get all your points made, it doesn't
have to be robotic in between pages you can make it personable.:thumbup:

You can do it!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts