Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
If someone came to me after I hired them to do a job and said they forgot to do part of it, I think I would be pretty forgiving and stoked they were honest and cared enough to come back.

If I hired them again, I would have to give them a small amount of chit and ask them a few times if they made sure they finished all work. People make mistakes. It's how you handle it afterwords that shows what your made of.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I always say, "Man, I'm a dumba$$". Of course you kind of want to judge your client first but it has smoothed things over for me in the past.:thumbup:

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Go back and do it. The customer will appreciate it and will probably laugh about it also. No big deal.
Or he will say, "Aww... don't worry about it. I can't see it from my house."
:jester:

I did something similar in this house that had a couple of unfinished rooms. I forgot to hook up a set of ceiling speakers in one of the unfinished bedrooms and the HO naturally assumed that the speakers weren't included in the deal. They were pleasantly surprised when I returned to do the work.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Missed a closet while drying a nursing home once. Customer called a few months later saying it was a little moldy in there.... Everyone screws up, it's what happens then that sets people apart.

First day I was down there I told my pops I found his nursing home... Still joke about it.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I lied, I got the contract out to get his phone number. We did it the first week of October. He didn't even know we didn't do it lol. I'm sending one of the guys over on Monday to take care of it. According the the contract I never actually said I was going to do it, like I said I didn't even notice it was there. The contract said main house, lower garage, and chimney but that was my fault

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
jlsconstruction said:
I lied, I got the contract out to get his phone number. We did it the first week of October. He didn't even know we didn't do it lol. I'm sending one of the guys over on Monday to take care of it. According the the contract I never actually said I was going to do it, like I said I didn't even notice it was there. The contract said main house, lower garage, and chimney but that was my fault
Good man. Now hopefully your guy doesn't accidentally put his ladder through the window or something. Lol

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Ok many a true word spoken in jest :blink:. Start job monday morning, Bath tub to shower conversion and repipe the house, Demo done on monday plumber shows up tuesday, I say to him do not run hot water to the toilet like the last you piped this house:laughing:, Show up wednesday morning hot water going to toilet, Hot and cold reversed at bath vanity :laughing:, Jixed the guy.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Ok many a true word spoken in jest :blink:. Start job monday morning, Bath tub to shower conversion and repipe the house, Demo done on monday plumber shows up tuesday, I say to him do not run hot water to the toilet like the last you piped this house:laughing:, Show up wednesday morning hot water going to toilet, Hot and cold reversed at bath vanity :laughing:, Jixed the guy.
What's wrong with that? It keeps your butt warm and prevents clogs. ;)

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,717 Posts
Call, and say, I don't know what happened but I screwed up and forgot to do this. I'll be over tomorrow morning if that is a good time.

No biggie, I almost had a real screw up to post up recently. But I avoided it fortunately.
Yep, just own it & make it right & not make a big issue of it.

·
Registered
818 Posts
It would melt the wax ring eventually and make it leak

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have encountered hot water run to he toilet a few times..... they had all been like that for at least a decade..... So far I have not seen one that had an issue.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts