Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what would you do if you forgot to shingle a bow window? The client hasn't said anything about it, and even referred his sons girlfriend to me for a roof. I don't think he even knows, but I drove by his house yesterday and noticed. I'm in no way trying to get out of shingling it. Would you just call him and apologize, or just go over and do it?

·
Super Moderator
28,282 Posts
Call, and say, I don't know what happened but I screwed up and forgot to do this. I'll be over tomorrow morning if that is a good time.

No biggie, I almost had a real screw up to post up recently. But I avoided it fortunately.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jaws said:
Call, and say, I don't know what happened but I screwed up and forgot to do this. I'll be over tomorrow morning if that is a good time. No biggie.
That's what I figured, I just feel like an idiot

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
jlsconstruction said:
So what would you do if you forgot to shingle a bow window? The client hasn't said anything about it, and even referred his sons girlfriend to me for a roof. I don't think he even knows, but I drove by his house yesterday and noticed. I'm in no way trying to get out of shingling it. Would you just call him and apologize, or just go over and do it?
Go back and shingle it . If they say something . Just say I was waiting for them shingles . No reason to make stink .

·
Super Moderator
11,946 Posts
Honesty is king. In reading the OP I thought is was kind of funny. Anyone who says that they've never forgotten to do something here is a liar.

I think the client will appreciate the call and the fact that you noticed, and not someone else.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kambrooks said:
Know you forgot? It couldn't have been taken off by someone
it still had the old shingles on it. At least we didn't tear it off. Honestly I didn't ever notice it was there, we did the one on the other side of the house. It's kind of hard to miss because it's a brown and we reroofed it pewter

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
skillman said:
Goes to show you he didn't spot the color difference either .
The road is a dead end, so he would never drive from that way to see it, I was looking at a project 4 houses down that's the only reason I noticed.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
That's funny that you posted this today.

We did a roof in May and we recently started his neighbors roof. While finishing up I noticed we missed a little three shingle return. Pretty embarrassing, especially since he paid promptly, appreciated the work, bought donuts and referred us to his neighbor. It's for those reasons I gave him a call and asked him to call me back.

If the dude was a prick, i don't know if it'd be so willing to admit to the mistake.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,857 Posts
I did something like that a number of years back . Forgot to side a little gable area that was kind of out of sight. Was cleaning up and about to leave the job. Told the customer I would come back the next day and finish it. Ended up laying in wet snow to do it. Happens to all of us some time or another. Think it is always best to admit it , fix it and move on. Last time I checked don't think any of us walk on water yet.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts