Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well work is slow but I made $12 today. :clap:
Its a long story on why I did this ceiling fan repair but I knew it was going to be a dirt cheap deal, sortof to help a relative get some brownie points at their job.

Anyways it was about a 1 hour job and the HO wasnt home. It was one of those pay whatever you think is fair deals. Taking out the cost of parts there was $12 of pure profit unless you figure in gas money. Then maybe $6 profit. These condos the place was at are not cheap, this person has money so they know what kind of money you should make.

It just makes me wonder what the hell some people think. The only thing I can come up with the reason they pull crap like that is they are stupid or just flat out greedy. Or maybe they think the construction trade is like how it is on alot of TV shows, stupid fat guys or stupid immigrants doing the work because they are to stupid to do anything else. :rolleyes: If that true then why cant they do it themselves?

Id like to have a doctor help me with a broken bone for about a hour and give him $12. Getting license in the electrical field is about 8 years, how long does it take a doctor to become licensed? Some people just need a kick to the head.

I dont mean to rant but people who think low of our trade just really gets under my skin.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Well at least you made $12 today we spent the morning Jackhammering out a concrete approch to a cattle scale we poured two days ago. Somebody either kicked a brace or hit it with the chute and one corner got the lean. Only one corner, only 1 inch out but the plan says 28 feet not 27feet 11 inch.

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
Been there, done that, well maybe not as little as $6.00... :hammer:

But the licensing issue is going to be a selling point for my business. I've worked damn hard to get it and you can bet your ass I'm going to let the customer know the value of using a licensed electrician versus someone else.

·
Painter/Rehaber
399 Posts
Every welfare receipiant in the US made more then you today (1st of the month) and all they had to do was sit on their porch.:)

Reactions: Tom R

·
Banned
846 Posts
Slightly off topic, but it's hard to get on welfare. I tried laying myself off and collecting unemployment over the winter. No dice.

·
Painter/Rehaber
399 Posts
Sorry, Bob.
Note to self---S.O.T!!!

·
Registered
559 Posts
It's not that hard Bob you just didn't have the right guide. Go down town and find a crack ho with 6 kids and they will walk you right through it!! being an upstanding citizen doesn't pay for sh&&.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
$12 is better than some MONTHS that I've had in the last 2 yrs. which can go into negative numbers.

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Slightly off topic, but it's hard to get on welfare. I tried laying myself off and collecting unemployment over the winter. No dice.
It's not that hard Bob you just didn't have the right guide. Go down town and find a crack ho with 6 kids and they will walk you right through it!! being an upstanding citizen doesn't pay for sh&&.
Here in MI I think they go by your adress, if you live in benton harbor your approved just because you live in benton harbor. If you dont live in da hood then they probably review your form. Ive thought about signing up for welfare. Ive talked to people my age with not a damn thing wrong with them and they are on welfare. I may as well help drain the system.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Only a few trillion$. What's the problem? We can print more!

·
I eat sawdust.
3,975 Posts
Here in MI I think they go by your adress, if you live in benton harbor your approved just because you live in benton harbor. If you dont live in da hood then they probably review your form. Ive thought about signing up for welfare. Ive talked to people my age with not a damn thing wrong with them and they are on welfare. I may as well help drain the system.
So if you bought an investment property in your wife's name in Benton Harbor, is welfare enough to cover a good chunk of that mortgage or....?

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So if you bought an investment property in your wife's name in Benton Harbor, is welfare enough to cover a good chunk of that mortgage or....?
You could buy 300 investment properties a month there. At the tax auction they have tons of property for $1 and alot never sell. one guy bought a 5 story hotel built in the 1920s for $1.

My dad owns a apartment building in a city full of white trash, 99.9% of the people who want a apartment there are on welfare. One guy was 19 and got $800 a month. Most people who live there get $650.

·
Painter/Rehaber
399 Posts
Work cash jobs. Sell dope on the side. Move the unauthorized boyfriend into my subsidized housing unit. All while collecting a full welfare alotment. With this financial plan I should have enough cash to purchase that new pickup truck I've been wanting within a year. Brand new.

No thanks. It's a pride thing.

·
Banned
917 Posts
Work cash jobs. Sell dope on the side. Move the unauthorized boyfriend into my subsidized housing unit. All while collecting a full welfare alotment. With this financial plan I should have enough cash to purchase that new pickup truck I've been wanting within a year. Brand new.

No thanks. It's a pride thing.
Pride sucks doesnt it?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Investment property in Benton Harbor?.......*snicker*.........*chuckle*........*giggle*........:laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Anyways it was about a 1 hour job and the HO wasnt home. It was one of those pay whatever you think is fair deals. Taking out the cost of parts there was $12 of pure profit unless you figure in gas money. Then maybe $6 profit. These condos the place was at are not cheap, this person has money so they know what kind of money you should make.

It just makes me wonder what the hell some people think. The only thing I can come up with the reason they pull crap like that is they are stupid or just flat out greedy. Or maybe they think the construction trade is like how it is on alot of TV shows, stupid fat guys or stupid immigrants doing the work because they are to stupid to do anything else. :rolleyes: If that true then why cant they do it themselves?

Id like to have a doctor help me with a broken bone for about a hour and give him $12. Getting license in the electrical field is about 8 years, how long does it take a doctor to become licensed? Some people just need a kick to the head.

I dont mean to rant but people who think low of our trade just really gets under my skin.
So, help me out here- you do a job, and leave it up to the customer to decide how much to pay, and then you blame the customer when you only make $12? Here's a really kooky idea- next time, tell them what the cost will be up front- if they don't like it, they won't hire you, and then you'll have nothing to ***** about.

It's not up to the customer to determine what you're worth- as you found out, that doesn't normally work out to well. The customer didn't "pull anything"- they paid what they thought the work was worth, which for all we know, $12 might have been it's worth.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Investment property in Benton Harbor?.......*snicker*.........*chuckle*........*giggle*........:laughing::laughing::laughing:
Just a notch or two under Flint there Cdat.

They tearing down houses near you?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts