Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently have purchased a Franklin Sensors ProSensor 710 Precision Stud Finder. It is awesome. I think it works better than all others because it measures the difference in density across the wall and is not based on some set point readings that have been predetermined to signify a stud.
I Purchased it on line. If you get one you won't be disappointed.:clap:
About time!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
#1 Handyman said:
I recently have purchased a Franklin Sensors ProSensor 710 Precision Stud Finder. It is awesome. I think it works better than all others because it measures the difference in density across the wall and is not based on some set point readings that have been predetermined to signify a stud. I Purchased it on line. If you get one you won't be disappointed.:clap: About time!
I've heard a lot of good things about that stud finder. How does it work with lathe and plaster?

·
Registered
16,403 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
I use a 10d finish nail.

Sometimes it gets bent so I have to get a new one.
Me too. Its easy to patch the holes, but most of the time trim will cover them. A lot more accurate IMO.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I recently have purchased a Franklin Sensors ProSensor 710 Precision Stud Finder. It is awesome. I think it works better than all others because it measures the difference in density across the wall and is not based on some set point readings that have been predetermined to signify a stud.
I Purchased it on line. If you get one you won't be disappointed.:clap:
About time!
I have that stud finder and have had a little less success with it then you. I couldn't get it to work on a exterior wall. I'm thinking it was the insulation throwing it off.

On interior walls it worked great at finding wood studs.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have the Franklin as well and love it. I've only used it indoors, but I like that it will show trimmer studs, stud blocks, conduit, etc.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I've been using a Zircon 520 for about 8yrs. Works very well. Except the other day, I think the battery was low and was not reading properly.

I need to stock some more batteries in my truck.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I've been using a Zircon 520 for about 8yrs. Works very well. Except the other day, I think the battery was low and was not reading properly. Luckily made it through that job.

I need to stock some more batteries in my truck.

·
Registered
Custom
13,681 Posts
You got two built-in stud finder's on each hand that don't require batteries or a user's manual... :whistling

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I also use the Hanson. It works great. Never needs new batteries. Not trying to be smart. I really like simple tools. It doesn't work too well on lath and plaster.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I love the hanson. When running baseboard, I move it along the wall instead of using a tape on the floor. It never misses the stud.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have used all the methods mentioned.
I can walk a 18ft wall in one minute and locate both sides of every stud.
Try that with a Hanson, hammer and nail, or tapping method.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I have it. Works well on drywall, not so well on lath and plaster.

Educated guesses (knuckle, measuring, referencing off of electrical boxes), tape measure and small drill bit work best on lath and plaster (which is what most of the walls are around here). Using a nail just separates the lath from the plaster, so I use a drill bit instead.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts