Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that home owners always want the cheapest crap possible?????hmmmmm??? I'm mean every roofer knows you only get 20 years out of a 25 year shingle.25 Years out of a oakridge pro 30 ar. but but noooooo! " I WAN"T A TAMKO !!! BECAUSE THEY ARE RED!!!" so what if they are red _____THEY DON"T STICK_!_! It says on the package ,"do not nail in the factory applied tar strip." Duh, how is it gonna hold if you don't nail through both layers?? PEOPLE - CONSUMERS <<< COUNTRY MEN >>> when your roofer comes to shoot you a quote,, ask him if he uses red chalk, ask him if he chalks EVERY OTHER LINE.then if he says yes, then you have a roofer. and only use OWENS CORNING SHINGLES
YES even if you can't get red,,,,,it will be ok,,, PAINT YOUR HOUSE!and if you have 2 layers already TEAR IT OFF! orr... save money ,, 20$ walmart shoes and a little practice you can walk a 12 12 like a pro.

its all about the pitch forks baby!

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
DooDie BiRd said:
Why is it that home owners always want the cheapest crap possible?????hmmmmm??? I'm mean every roofer knows you only get 20 years out of a 25 year shingle.25 Years out of a oakridge pro 30 ar. but but noooooo! " I WAN"T A TAMKO !!! BECAUSE THEY ARE RED!!!" so what if they are red _____THEY DON"T STICK_!_! It says on the package ,"do not nail in the factory applied tar strip." Duh, how is it gonna hold if you don't nail through both layers?? PEOPLE - CONSUMERS <<< COUNTRY MEN >>> when your roofer comes to shoot you a quote,, ask him if he uses red chalk, ask him if he chalks EVERY OTHER LINE.then if he says yes, then you have a roofer. and only use OWENS CORNING SHINGLES
YES even if you can't get red,,,,,it will be ok,,, PAINT YOUR HOUSE!and if you have 2 layers already TEAR IT OFF! orr... save money ,, 20$ walmart shoes and a little practice you can walk a 12 12 like a pro.

its all about the pitch forks baby!
I like tamko as a roofer. I dislike certianteed as a company due to their crappy supply habits. I think ownes corning shingles are flimsy.

:) I gotta be honest when I say I didn't wuite catch the point of your post. Were you saying you don't want to sell garbage?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Too bad you weren't here when I needed a new roof. I bought the Rolls Royce.

·
Roofer
681 Posts
LOL
Are you complaining that you got the job and had to use Tamko?
or didn't get the job because you wouldn't use Tamko?
or are you a disgruntle shoe's salesman?

Edited to add,
I chalk ridge caps 'on hips' and valleys, but not for my field shingles,
I don't nail in the self sealer strip 'on any shingle', I place them in the manner that all manufacturers reccomend,
I have 3 pitch forks but they don't leave the garage unless I'm ripping wood shakes, spaded shovel or shingle eater is all I use on shingles.
I only use Gaf/Elk, Tamko, Certainteed, OC, IKO, Atlas shingles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts