Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where can a get some "plumpy nut"!?!

I just heard Tia leoni mention it on Larry king, she said it can feed a kid for a month for less than 8 bucks!

how do I go about ordering survival rations online, any recommendations?

·
Master Baiter
130 Posts
You could move to a nation where famine is an issue. Only way I know of getting plumpy nut. The real appeal is the weight gain for malnurished children, I'm not an expert by any means, but from what i've read about the product, it doesnt seem like a viable product for everyday use in a "normal" childs diet.Google it, there's a lot of information out there about it.
As far as survival rations, your local army surplus should be able to sell you all the MRE's you care to eat. All the protein you need if you can handle the taste
:tank:

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I've been to my local surplus but they don't have the kind of stuff I've seen Unicef have... they (Unicef) have some dry packets that you mix in water that can have animal crap and it makes it safe to drink! for 10 cents each!!

I don't wanna wait until I have flys in my eyes before i get ready ... I live in Earthquake country plus, I'm a commercial contractor in southern Cali ... Hard times ahead.

'Sides a plumpy samwich sounds good right about now.

·
Registered
183 Posts
if you are really desperate you can get MREs online. or if you have a budy in the military he can pick you up some at the commissary

·
MHIC licensed contractor
154 Posts
http://beprepared.com/Default.asp?bhcd2=1263908721

http://preparednesspantry.blogspot.com/

http://www.mountainhouse.com/

Costco

Make friends with some mormons and buy in bulk at one of their food centers.

Good discussion:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=10&f=19
and
http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=10&f=17

I wouldnt buy any surplus MREs. The temps they are stored in can really effect their shelf lives, and you wont know where they have been. Have they been sitting in the desert for 6 months? Most of the MRE suppliers have new production for sale to civilians, with pallet prices. But normal canned goods can be just as effective, and cheaper, as long as you learn to rotate your stock.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I'd like to know why they can't bring in water from the Dominican Republic and why they can't use the airport over there as well as their port, assuming they have one (must have one?). Wouldn't it make more sense to buy water in the D.R. than in Florida and have it transported in on airplanes?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'd like to know why they can't bring in water from the Dominican Republic and why they can't use the airport over there as well as their port, assuming they have one (must have one?). Wouldn't it make more sense to buy water in the D.R. than in Florida and have it transported in on airplanes?
We stock tons of bottled water for hurricane season and it is a good way to basically rotate our stocks, most of it is donated from suppliers and a lot of it is near expiration dates... this way it don't go to waste and is the only cost is shipping.

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I heard that the various charities have raised well over a million dollars for every Haitian!

51 state here it comes! Nation building ... it's an investment to the empire.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I was looking at this week's top twenty from the Travelzoo, and one of the places I had never heard of. I clicked on it and it was one of those all inclusive resorts in the Dominican Republic. I guess it is a good time to do a promotion. Something like 6 nights including airfare and hotel for $600. Wonder if they can feel any of the shaking and quaking on their side?

·
Super Moderator
10,595 Posts
I heard that the various charities have raised well over a million dollars for every Haitian!

51 state here it comes! Nation building ... it's an investment to the empire.
Not sure where you heard this, but it is ridiculously FALSE!!
That would work out to 10 Trillion dollars. Not likely.

·
Registered
190 Posts
We= roofing contractors, Floridians, or Daytonians?
"We" as the State of Florida, actually the SERT (State Emergency Response Team). It started out as basically as hurricane supplies but has grown to include any disaster.

The SERT works with our State Roofing assn. (FRSA) threw our Disaster Preparedness and Response Committee at the state level to plan and prepare for whatever might happen so we don't end up like the after affects of Katrina. I spend a lot of time trying to make sure that if we ever end up with a real mess on our hands we will at least have a plan to move forward instead of waiting for help.

We found out after 4 storms in one year how unprepared we really where and have been trying to correct that since by working with Emergency management with-in the govt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts