Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an (AS) degree in building construction. I am just a little hung up on the experience part of getting my GC license. My father and I worked together to pay the bills when I was younger. I my father had a GC license, but I never resaved compensation for my work. my father passed away when I was 17. I am now 21. I have the experience, with no evidence. Is there any way that I can make my own renovation company (following the guidelines of what doesn't need licensing) to get experience qualifications for GC license?
please Help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
no evidence

Don't do work on your own without a licence, I'm not sure what the rules are where your at, but in Arizona if you cant prove your work experiences for a GC licence, they will give you a remodeling licence for a lot less experience. now that limits the jobs you can do and the dollor amounts, but in a "couple of years" with alot more documented experience you can
reaplly for your GC licence.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My business is legal here in Florida. You do not need license for some things. Thanks for your advice. I am going to see if they give a remodeling license here in Florida too.
Thanks Henry:thumbsup:

Does not need a license

Install a driveway or install pavers/tile walkways regardless of compensation.
Install awnings that do not become a fixed part of the structure regardless of compensation.
Add a water filter onto a faucet regardless of compensation.
Insert a plug-in A/C window unit regardless of compensation.
Change an A/C filter or cleaning ducts that do not require removal of the air grills regardless of compensation.
Clean swimming pools.
Install an above-ground pool regardless of compensation.
Install or repair irrigation systems that have a backflow preventer connected to a potable (drinking) water supply regardless of compensation.
Install prefabricated tool shed less than 250 square feet in size regardless of compensation. The shed may be up to 400 square feet if it bears the insignia of approval from the Department of Community Affairs.
Paint; install cabinets, wood or tile flooring, and insulation regardless of compensation.
Installation or replacement of drywall if the contract does not include other work on the load bearing part of the wall or any plumbing, electrical, or air conditioning work.

Do’s anybody know Florida regulations, and whether or not my own company can qualify as experience?:eek:

·
Super Moderator
Drywall, Texturing and Painting
11,344 Posts
Do’s anybody know Florida regulations, and whether or not my own company can qualify as experience?:eek:
I don't think so. Because you are not able to do any of the things that you need to show experience at. :sad:

Here's a link to the------>Florida licensing website

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I think that here in Cali you can keep your Dad's contractor's # and take over his business in the event of his death if you can show that it is essential to the family's well being.
I may have that wrong a little.

Do your own homework and see if that applies to your home state. There may be some timing issues given it has been a few years.

Hope you can get it worked out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.