Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I get a call to look at a ladies yard last week, she wants the yard graded and and a lawn installed. Her boyfriend rented a skid steer and made a mess so she wanted it fixed. Home was a new modular built in May. I go there and look at the yard and she mentions that she wants a patio at some time so I sell her a new yard and a stamped concrete patio. The home has a walk out basement, I am at the home to sign contract and get deposit and notice that some #2 stone and fabric at grade level, with out giving away the problem, I want you guys see the photo's first. Forget the fact that the bedding isn't there or fabric. She also has her sdr35 sewer clean out sticking up threw her stone driveway about 6". I gave her my lawyers name. Winter is on it's way, I have two possible fixes in mind what do you guys think?

Soil Rubble Gravel Rock Concrete
this photo is taken from the area below window on the right. Notice the foundation coating, these guys had to know but didn't care.

Land lot Property Grass Lawn House
as you can see I brought my dozer but never got a chance to use it

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,512 Posts
Looks like somebody forgot to continue the foundation footing along the length of most of the house. Looks like there is a pc of repbar there so they could continue the footing and have a good tie in point. The fix is going to be costly.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Other than what you mentioned, and no waterproofing on the foundation,those footings are quite shallow,looks like you'd have to backfill clear up over those windows,hopefully the step in the footing is far enough past the opening to fit anything other than a narrow passage between the walls you'll have to erect to hold the backfill in place.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats a pin we put in place to determine patio elavation has nothing to do with the problem. The footing is in place so the home has a footing, no problem with that but it does have to do with the footing.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oldfart, bingo the footing has less that 20" of cover, closer to the door it is like 4" of cover, code is 48" they should of stepped the footing down at the corners of the home because of the windows on both sides. This home was built with no walk out basement in mind. What's the fix?

·
Registered
151 Posts
With a walkout basement like that the foundations whould have been much deeper, especially in upstate NY. Your frost line has to be about 48" and I can see some cracked walls happening this winter.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Could you put up retaining walls on each side of the cellar entry 6'-8'out and have it open into the new patio.
You'd have to address the curtain drains(cut and run to Daylight behind the retaining wall).
If the windows are too low,I don't think window wells will work,so that would have to be addressed.
Or,
Sell her on a nice big addition back there so the new foundation could be done right and some carpenters could get some work out of it!!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lawsuit yes, she has to pay to get it fixed in the mean time before winter, I am thinking underpinning so we will see how it shakes out. I could of just went and did my part and cashed the check but I try and do rite by every customer.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I see where the top of the
footer is, but did you dig down
to see the bottom?
I have poured extra deep footings
to avoid extra block or form work.

Reactions: jmacd

·
Registered
463 Posts
Ive add additions to 3 houses this year with the tops of the footing sticking out of the ground ?
I really cant see any one having a huge problem with it . If the basement area is heated the ground doesn't freeze next to the house any way .
You can add a frost wall across the back of the house with some polystyrene foam to keep it warm . We have 48" footing depth here but most homes don't have more then 30" of depth . John

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
She could always close up the door and use window wells for the windows...frost line is measured from the bottom of the footing and upward...looks like you should just make it from the window down...That would be the cheapest way out.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
That could be the case but those footing would have to be 48" tall. The footing drain would be deeper also. I did not dig any further wasn't my scope of work, remember I was there to install lawn and patio did not want to dig up her yard. I stopped at this point. I did call the builder and he said he thought his excavator stepped down at the corners. The inspector is coming Tuesday. I would be happy to go and do my part get paid and move on.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
If that is the top of the footer, why not insulate with 4" of foam.
Can't remember the term for this. She might loose the sliding door.

·
Contractor
7,655 Posts
I see where the top of the
footer is, but did you dig down
to see the bottom?
I have poured extra deep footings
to avoid extra block or form work.
I have to agree w/neo.

The foundation guys here will dig to frost and fill the trench with concrete, then set panels on that.
Or they may step the footer down and use short panels on the bottom to make up the difference. More investigation is needed here.

The photos indicate that this was planned as a walk out condition, the foundation coating line would lead me to believe it has a frost footing along the back wall starting at the corners.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I think Neolitiic has a point , you could be looking at the step down point .
I use 3' thick footing all the time for additions .
The rear wall could be dug down and the footing could be there .

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
wellbuilt, code is 48" and we get well below "0" here for weeks at a time so the ground does freeze "hard" for months. I have dug thru 36" of frozen ground before in January, if this was my new home I would not want to worry about "what if" my footing moves. This is not what I would call "best practise" and it sure doesn't pass code, unless Noelitic is correct. Remember this is not anymore of a concern of mine except that I know that this was built wrong if Noelitic is wrong, still not my responsibility to prove that it was built correct. I would be glad to drag my digger over there and dig it up if the customers wants to pay me to do so.

·
Registered
463 Posts
That could be the case but those footing would have to be 48" tall. The footing drain would be deeper also. I did not dig any further wasn't my scope of work, remember I was there to install lawn and patio did not want to dig up here yard. I stopped at this point. I did call the builder and he said he thought his excavator stepped down at the corners. The inspector is coming Tuesday. I would be happy to go and do my part get paid and move on.
I would have kept the drain at top footing hight so it could be dug to daylight .

1 - 20 of 177 Posts