Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
11,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently learned that the paint roller was invented in 1940.

How was paint applied to a larger surface prior to that? Was it all tinted skim coats?

Does anybody here have a relative who worked back before the 40's?

·
11,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately for that Canadian, he didn't have the means to really capitalize on it though and he got snaked by a guy that worked for Sherwin Williams!

Bad beat.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Big, wide brush. Think 6" or bigger.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Wasn't there some kind of push-back from the unions when the roller first came out?

·
11,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems impossible that we've been painting for thousands of years and nobody thought of this.

I mean, even poop on a wagon wheel can make that happen. Nobody put that together?

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts

How was paint applied to a larger surface prior to that? Was it all tinted skim coats?

Wall brush. I have some 8 inch brushes somewhere from when I did specialty finishes.

Paint was much thinner then and you could get an amazingly flat finish.

·
Hair Splitter
18,331 Posts
Wasn't there some kind of push-back from the unions when the roller first came out?

Timeless, you are correct. The unions went ballistic and threatened to strike, it would speed up their work too much. Sounds like the union has always been the way it is.

Gibson, as others have said it was applied with a wide brush. But pigment was also added to plaster to achieve a nice finish.

·
11,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just by the by there's a great Warner Herzog documentary on a different French cave called The Cave of Forgotten Dreams.

Great watch.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I remember about 20 years ago when I worked for another painter that a customer insisted that we brush paint all her plaster walls, with oil paint no less. She did not want to see a roller on the job.
That job sucked.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts