Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The majority of construction trades can use this tool.
I have the idea on paper with drawings.
I have a great idea that will definitely fill a need for the contractor to the Do-It-yourselfer.
Has anyone out there invented something that is on the market today?
I am interested in selling the idea to a major tool manufacture.
I have tried to contact a few of them, like makita, black&decker, ryobi and skil etc...
They are tough to get in touch with. What I have experienced in contacting some of the firms is that they immediately want me to sign a release that states they will see the idea, but they are not responsible if somehow they steal the idea.
Any suggestions from people that have been through the invention process.
It's frustrating to have an exellent idea that I can't do much with due to finances etc...

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
dwcnet said:
They are tough to get in touch with. What I have experienced in contacting some of the firms is that they immediately want me to sign a release that states they will see the idea, but they are not responsible if somehow they steal the idea.
What, are you serious? Screw that.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
As another 'safety measure', - - mail a copy of the 'idea' to yourself and save the 'un-opened' letter (with the postmark on it as 'proof')

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
dw, ignore all of the above advice. Go here http://www.uspto.gov/ and dig around.
Want to know my background? Search 'Teetor'. You will find 250 patents. Want more info? Post it, this comes up frequently. I may do a piece on it.
BTW, it's not cheap. A temp. patent (2 yrs.) is $500.00 and a full search with an attorney will run you about $13,000.00. I have an attny if you are interested.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Sorry Rich, a patent application is not a simple subject, there are books written on the subject. The majority of people need help.
Major corps. hire people to monitor incoming patents. If you have a good idea and it is not properly written, your project will hit the shelves while you're still perfecting it. It's happened to me twice.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Search 'Teetor'. You will find 250 patents.

I did and it came up as you are a total unknown. :eek:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I should have been more specific.
On the left side, under 'patents' hit search. the next page hit 'quick search', In 'Term 1' type 'Teetor' and you will get 250 hits, odd in a way as my uncle Ralph has 480 of his own including 'cruise control' or the 'speed-o stat' as it was originally known.
This is a perfect example of my previous post.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
On the left side, under 'patents' hit search. the next page hit 'quick search', In 'Term 1' type 'Teetor' and you will get 250 hits
The left side of what? What search engine are you describing?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
250 is right. When I narrowed the search to the inventor's name I got 6. What's up with that?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Rich, to prowl the site, once you are in, takes about 3 windows. More when you get specific.
I can get in there and prowl around without a problem. Maybe it's really worse than I thought. Maybe you don't know what you are doing. This goes back to my original point. Spend some time there and you will figure it out eventually.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
Sorry Rich, a patent application is not a simple subject, there are books written on the subject. The majority of people need help.
Major corps. hire people to monitor incoming patents. If you have a good idea and it is not properly written, your project will hit the shelves while you're still perfecting it. It's happened to me twice.
Very true Teetor.. and no offense taken on my end :)
It's just my nature to treat situations as survival of the fittest. Give people an inch and see how far they go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Reply to your advice...

hatchet said:
First thing to do is get a patent for the idea. Then go talk to the manufacturers.. you at least have some bargaining power then.
I have the tool registered. I have contacted every tool manufacture out there, and unfortunately it's very difficult to talk to anyone.
They Ist want me to sign a waiver stating that if they steal my idea, oh well.
They have the $$$$$$$ to steal and run with the idea easily.
This is what I've learned so far.
Dan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Exactly....about my idea.

hatchet said:
Very true Teetor.. and no offense taken on my end :)
It's just my nature to treat situations as survival of the fittest. Give people an inch and see how far they go.
Dan.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts