Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, we work with a 5 guy in the field team, and 3 in the office, including the boss/owner.
3 weeks ago, 1 office guy left, gave a 3 minute notice! BYE!!

Then last week we lost 1 field guy for another job to better himself, and this week we lost 2 guys, 1 for health reason , 1 for a unexpected vacation! Not going there!

That left 2 of use. We worked our a#* of to do what we could, stay on a schedule. And today, the boss came in about 1/2 hour before quitting time, shook our hands, words off thanks during this time, had a few brews together, and made our day! Thanks, Greg!!

·
Registered
594 Posts
I feel ya there. Our boss is pretty good to us as well. It's nice to know you are appreciated once in while

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just got home from the funeral of one of the best employee's/friends I ever had!!,big ole' native guy we nicknamed him "Windwalker" heights did not bother him....brain tumor finally got him 18 months after diagnosis...actually introduced my brother to his sister and they have four kids together now,my neices and nephew.......Godspeed WindWalker,you will be missed.....:sad:

·
Super Moderator
27,725 Posts
sounds like your boss doesnt have a company anymore
If you shut down because you lose some hands, you werent going to make it anyway.

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Don't really see what is so great about this boss here, he came over half hour before quit time , shook your hands and that made you feel so great you actually had to tell us?
How inferior some people see themselves just astonishes me, a great boss would be working by your side all of that day or days until there is enough people.

·
Registered
555 Posts
On the other hand I don't see how other workers recklessness makes you eligible for a raise, it's not like you giving anybody a favor by showing up and earning your money.
It's not that you expertise increased after somebody left for vacation, although I guess you could negotiate on supply/demand basis given that your great boss won't do a tiny bit of work on the site even having just 2 guys left.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Don't really see what is so great about this boss here, he came over half hour before quit time , shook your hands and that made you feel so great you actually had to tell us?
How inferior some people see themselves just astonishes me, a great boss would be working by your side all of that day or days until there is enough people.
I think what the guy is trying to say, is it was a nice gesture for the boss to say "thank you" and have a few beers with his employees.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,965 Posts
Sometimes a single attaboy can make a great day out of a crappy one. Nothing wrong with sharing that. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
27,725 Posts
Depends on their situation. He just lost an office person as well. I imagine Dave would be mighty pissed off if his boss didn't have his next job sold and set up when he finished this one. Might also start to suck to work there if the projects werent scheduled properly, there isnt a scope of work and RFIs answered, or materials scheduled for release as needed. Might be some unexpected days off.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well as per some of the replies, We are scheduled for a 5 man crew for approx. 2-3 months out with signed contracts, and customers willing and waiting their turn! The interviews have been going on for approx. 1 week, about 7-8 people for filling 3 jobs, 1 office estimator, 1 lead carpenter, and 1 semi-skilled labor. Wages from approx. $70k to $30k per year. As for the week, we are 40 hours for sure, and I do average approx. 50 per week! As for a raise, I got $2 per hour a month ago, and a bonus last week close to a grand! I am not complaining! Paid vacation, paid sick time, paid holidays, supplied uniforms. AND MY BOSS does work with us, on jobs daily, we do restoration work, water loss/smoke/fire/sewage/etc.! HE DOES and will come out and pick up "TURDS" better known as "CHIT"!!!!! LOL

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think it is interesting just how something so little made such a big impact on a worker. So all you owners / bosses out there take note. If you just dedicate 5 or 10 minutes a day appreciating your employees and making sure they know it you might just have more fun working, have happy employees, and reduce turnover. I for one am thankful for this post.

Chuck
Masters Roofing
www.masterswa.com

1 - 19 of 19 Posts