Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Remodel
30,239 Posts
Reread for the Nth time. Full frame tear out probably resulted in more glass area than the original windows. Unless these were low e argon, I'd expect them to perform slightly worse than well maintained wooden single pane with storm windows, or better if it was just single pane. Steel frame would tip it toward the new windows, but it's difficult to say.

The location of the thermostat is important information here. If the system was balanced before the windows were replaced, and the replacements perform better AND there is relatively more window area in the room with the thermostat compared to other rooms, then that room would now be relatively warmer. The thermostat will control to whatever it has for a set point, so now other rooms with relatively less window area, and therefor less improvement, are going to be cooler than before.

Running temperature differentials room to room will set up air currents from room to room. There's no way of telling what the draft she's talking about is due to without tracing it.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Reread for the Nth time. Full frame tear out probably resulted in more glass area than the original windows. Unless these were low e argon, I'd expect them to perform slightly worse than well maintained wooden single pane with storm windows, or better if it was just single pane. Steel frame would tip it toward the new windows, but it's difficult to say.
The location of the thermostat is important information here. If the system was balanced before the windows were replaced, and the replacements perform better AND there is relatively more window area in the room with the thermostat compared to other rooms, then that room would now be relatively warmer. The thermostat will control to whatever it has for a set point, so now other rooms with relatively less window area, and therefor less improvement, are going to be cooler than before.

Running temperature differentials room to room will set up air currents from room to room. There's no way of telling what the draft she's talking about is due to without tracing it.
These were old steel frame tear outs. And, while Tin rightly pointed out, old steel windows tended to last a LONG time and stay in relatively good shape. Obviously, I didn't see these, so I'm assuming they weren't rusted out and falling out of the holes. I'm also fairly certain that the new windows have less glass than the originals.

I've also got to "assume" that the dealer used a high performance glass. Marvin is fairly picky about their Infinity dealers and I can't imagine a competent dealer installing windows in northern MI and NOT use some type of high performance glass.

I didn't even think about re-balancing the system HD. What you describe could also very well be in play. Just so many things we don't know here.

I've encouraged Bob to sign up as a service provider and maybe he can chime in here and give you guys a little more information.

Thanks for the input so far guys! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Remodel
30,239 Posts
These were old steel frame tear outs. And, while Tin rightly pointed out, old steel windows tended to last a LONG time and stay in relatively good shape. Obviously, I didn't see these, so I'm assuming they weren't rusted out and falling out of the holes. I'm also fairly certain that the new windows have less glass than the originals.
Brain fade, sorry about that. I do so much wood, it's my default...

·
Registered
14,518 Posts
Not to state the obvious but I have to believe the new double pane windows are going to be an improvement. Even the low end of most manufacturers lines are going to be better than single pane steel conducting cold air.

In addition to long curtains blocking baseboard or thick rugs blocking air flow, closed bedroom doors can be a problem. Many thermostats are in hallways, with no heat and elements are in bedrooms with furniture. If the doors are not kept open the heat doesnt flow and the stat keeps asking for heat.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Not to state the obvious but I have to believe the new double pane windows are going to be an improvement. Even the low end of most manufacturers lines are going to be better than single pane steel conducting cold air.

In addition to long curtains blocking baseboard or thick rugs blocking air flow, closed bedroom doors can be a problem. Many thermostats are in hallways, with no heat and elements are in bedrooms with furniture. If the doors are not kept open the heat doesnt flow and the stat keeps asking for heat.
The kitchen, dining room, and living room will also have baseboard heat. And that heat will flow to the hallway for the thermostat to sense it. Doubtful they left their bedroom doors open before the new windows, and then decided to close them after the new windows were in. Most likely have always closed the bedroom doors.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts