Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Early fall, was asked to bid a fireplace/book case on a new build. Submitted the bid & didn't give it a second thought. Was on the job laying floor & the builder asked me if Pat (money man on project) had talked to me about the fireplace. Turns out, he didn't want to spend that much & wanted his in house guys to build it. No problem, I probably didn't have time to meet their deadline anyhow.

Fast forward a few weeks & the builder calls, Pat wants you to build that fireplace afterall, can you work it in? Not for that price? Not on short notice. He said just use MDF instead of plywood to keep the cost down & paint with latex instead of pre cat lacquer . So I agreed, but made them do the install, as I just didn't have time. We'd already canceled our vacation, so I had time. Love it when they come crawling back:laughing:

But good gawd, I really hate working with MDF. Dusty crap. We made all the mouldings ourself with the new to us moulder & shaper, so it was good practice using the new machines.

I had to modify a little from my original drawings, cause she wanted a 12" top shelf over the mantel & I just couldn't make it look right with my original drawings.

Attachments

·
Artist and not a curator
10,569 Posts
Early fall, was asked to bid a fireplace/book case on a new build. Submitted the bid & didn't give it a second thought. Was on the job laying floor & the builder asked me if Pat (money man on project) had talked to me about the fireplace. Turns out, he didn't want to spend that much & wanted his in house guys to build it. No problem, I probably didn't have time to meet their deadline anyhow.

Fast forward a few weeks & the builder calls, Pat wants you to build that fireplace afterall, can you work it in? Not for that price? Not on short notice. He said just use MDF instead of plywood to keep the cost down & paint with latex instead of pre cat lacquer . So I agreed, but made them do the install, as I just didn't have time. We'd already canceled our vacation, so I had time. Love it when they come crawling back:laughing:

But good gawd, I really hate working with MDF. Dusty crap. We made all the mouldings ourself with the new to us moulder & shaper, so it was good practice using the new machines.

I had to modify a little from my original drawings, cause she wanted a 12" top shelf over the mantel & I just couldn't make it look right with my original drawings.
That one really came out nice Randy.

MDF... Stand for "Move away Dumb ****" because it's horrible. It causes my face to beak out in a rash. All my molds for bends I always make out of plywood. Had a customer ask, why don't I use MDF because it's cheaper... I told him it's more expensive if he makes me use it:laughing:

I hate that stuff. Doesn't matter what kind of dust collection you have... If you were cutting on the international space station with the door open you'd still end up with that **** everywhere. Such fine particals too.

Anyhow, great work, especially considering you had to inhale pounds of glued dust:laughing:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
45,143 Posts
That one really came out nice Randy.

MDF... Stand for "Move away Dumb ****" because it's horrible. It causes my face to beak out in a rash. All my molds for bends I always make out of plywood. Had a customer ask, why don't I use MDF because it's cheaper... I told him it's more expensive if he makes me use it:laughing:

I hate that stuff. Doesn't matter what kind of dust collection you have... If you were cutting on the international space station with the door open you'd still end up with that **** everywhere. Such fine particals too.

Anyhow, great work, especially considering you had to inhale pounds of glued dust:laughing:

·
Registered
Remodel
26,545 Posts
It's amazing to me how much mdf is used in some pretty pricy houses.

It's my go to for chases. So sanding, no nothing, just paint it.:laughing:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
45,143 Posts
If you can't see grain telegraphing through the paint it's likely MDF. Not many painters are going to block sand between coats to kill the grain telegraphing.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
really impressive .i would love to say i designed it .good lines .
mdf does glue up nice .easy to repair nicks ,doesn't split and takes paint so well . Just the same I haven't used in years .Damn that is nice mantle

·
Registered
390 Posts
20160415_145424~2.jpg

i`ve made about 10 of these, on-site , using finish plywood , and all different millwork pieces client picks out . some with marble , some with lighting. pretty easy , and clients love them

i like yours , it has more detail than mine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts