Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

I hate crappy tools. I expected better from BrassCraft olive puller

18K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Mike's Plumbing 
#1 · (Edited)

The tool is specifically designed to pull compression sleeves from 3/8 and 1/2" copper pipe as well as stuck faucet handles.

It doesn't work worth a damn for pulling olives. I used properly, yet the prongs are not exactly pulling square on the nut so it keeps separating out and popping out.

I restrained the prongs from spreading out with zip ties which I shouldn't have to do it and I got it working.

I expected better from BrassCraft product.

What olive puller do you guys recommend?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
??

It comes with a piece that goes inside the copper pipe for the rod to fit into and the contoured (unike pulley pullers) prongs go behind the compression nut and around the copper pipe.

edit:
sorry didn't realize that was a product name you were referring to. thanks for the recommendation. Will look into it.

#6 ·
I got a screw type instead. It screws into the compression nut thread and pull out by the thread rather than from reaching behind.
I'm disappointed how horribly that pictured brass craft faucet puller and sleeve pull insert kit worked out. I expected better out of that brand.

#7 ·
I tell ya....I have serious experience with service work and I have yet to pull a comp sleeve off.:blink:

Why? What's the reason? If you need a new valve just leave the nut and sleeve on and put a new valve on it, the comp sleeve will work again.

If the last guy who put the thing on cranked the piss put of it you wont get it off the pipe; Hence the word "compression".:laughing:

For all the effort of going out and buying that you could of just put a new one on. I actually don't even own one because it doesn't make any sense. If you do get it off how the heck are you going to make a new one seal with the copper all shredded to hell?

Mike

#8 ·
I tell ya....I have serious experience with service work and I have yet to pull a comp sleeve off.:blink:

Why? What's the reason? If you need a new valve just leave the nut and sleeve on and put a new valve on it, the comp sleeve will work again.

Mike
I've always read you're not supposed to reuse olives, but as you know I'm not a plumber :p Will try thanks :)

#13 ·
I don't mind Lowes or Home Depot, I'm an adult it doesn't bother me a bit.:laughing:

It looks like a decent tool but like I said earlier I've never had the need to pull one and I have done thousands of service calls.

I'm glad you mentioned it though, if I ever run into a situation where pulling it off is smarter I'll have this thread stuck in the back of my mind.:laughing:

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.