Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

The tool is specifically designed to pull compression sleeves from 3/8 and 1/2" copper pipe as well as stuck faucet handles.

It doesn't work worth a damn for pulling olives. I used properly, yet the prongs are not exactly pulling square on the nut so it keeps separating out and popping out.

I restrained the prongs from spreading out with zip ties which I shouldn't have to do it and I got it working.

I expected better from BrassCraft product.

What olive puller do you guys recommend?

Attachments

·
Wood Butcher
977 Posts
Honestly though, The Big Yank Sr. it doesn't come with comp sleeve part but thats an extra 6 bucks or so.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Honestly though, The Big Yank Sr. it doesn't come with comp sleeve part but thats an extra 6 bucks or so.
??

It comes with a piece that goes inside the copper pipe for the rod to fit into and the contoured (unike pulley pullers) prongs go behind the compression nut and around the copper pipe.

edit:
sorry didn't realize that was a product name you were referring to. thanks for the recommendation. Will look into it.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a screw type instead. It screws into the compression nut thread and pull out by the thread rather than from reaching behind.
I'm disappointed how horribly that pictured brass craft faucet puller and sleeve pull insert kit worked out. I expected better out of that brand.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I tell ya....I have serious experience with service work and I have yet to pull a comp sleeve off.:blink:

Why? What's the reason? If you need a new valve just leave the nut and sleeve on and put a new valve on it, the comp sleeve will work again.

If the last guy who put the thing on cranked the piss put of it you wont get it off the pipe; Hence the word "compression".:laughing:

For all the effort of going out and buying that you could of just put a new one on. I actually don't even own one because it doesn't make any sense. If you do get it off how the heck are you going to make a new one seal with the copper all shredded to hell?

Mike

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tell ya....I have serious experience with service work and I have yet to pull a comp sleeve off.:blink:

Why? What's the reason? If you need a new valve just leave the nut and sleeve on and put a new valve on it, the comp sleeve will work again.

Mike
I've always read you're not supposed to reuse olives, but as you know I'm not a plumber :p Will try thanks :)

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I've always read you're not supposed to reuse olives, but as you know I'm not a plumber :p Will try thanks :)
Sure, just take your finger and see if you can feel a large bur or a ridge. If it feels pretty smooth you can dope it up and put a new one one.

WARNING: The newer 1/4 turn valves have a 1/16 shorter insert in the machined recess portion. What this means is it wont bed 100% on the sleeve.

SOLUTION: The old one you took off is the older globe valve type proly BC so go to Home Depot and buy the BC model. It will mate up perfectly if you do it this way.

You wont have a problem, just make sure it's snug and check for leaks of course.:thumbsup:

Good luck

Mike

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sure, just take your finger and see if you can feel a large bur or a ridge. If it feels pretty smooth you can dope it up and put a new one one.

WARNING: The newer 1/4 turn valves have a 1/16 shorter insert in the machined recess portion. What this means is it wont bed 100% on the sleeve.

SOLUTION: The old one you took off is the older globe valve type proly BC so go to Home Depot and buy the BC model. It will mate up perfectly if you do it this way.

You wont have a problem, just make sure it's snug and check for leaks of course.:thumbsup:

Good luck

Mike
How much do I tighten initially when reusing an old sleeve?

On another note, the old sleeve came off without too much force once I restrained the prongs from spreading out and the copper pipe wasn't pinched in that bad, so I really think that tool just plain sucks.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
How much do I tighten initially when reusing an old sleeve?

On another note, the old sleeve came off without too much force once I restrained the prongs from spreading out and the copper pipe wasn't pinched in that bad, so I really think that tool just plain sucks.
Once it's snug give it a half turn or so. Most plumbers develop a feel for it so it's hard to sometimes explain.

One thing you don't want to do is crank it till it squeals.:laughing:

I've seen some that were cranked so tight it actually peels brass off the ring like a big hook sticking out.:laughing:

Mike

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I don't mind Lowes or Home Depot, I'm an adult it doesn't bother me a bit.:laughing:

It looks like a decent tool but like I said earlier I've never had the need to pull one and I have done thousands of service calls.

I'm glad you mentioned it though, if I ever run into a situation where pulling it off is smarter I'll have this thread stuck in the back of my mind.:laughing:

Mike

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
Brasscraft does not make tools, they import them and put their name on it.

I have never needed more than a pair of channel locks to remove a compression ring, if that didn't do the trick it got cutoff.

·
the pipe master
501 Posts
For real. Cut it off, sweet on a stop. Done.

I saw a guy use a puller on a ferrel once. Asked him wtf he was wasting his time with that for :laughing:.

Brasscraft does not make tools, they import them and put their name on it.

I have never needed more than a pair of channel locks to remove a compression ring, if that didn't do the trick it got cutoff.

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
I dunno, but I'm still having trouble seeing why that thing should own real estate on my truck. I'd spend more time finding that one tool that hasn't been used in x years than whacking the ferrel off and installing a sweat ring.

I can re solder a stub out from the 90 inside the wall from the inside faster than I could find a tool I would use once every three years.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts