Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy wanted me to build it without any permits or zoning...:eek:...He told me he knew the zoning officials would give him a hard time and he didn't care what they said, he wanted it built. He has already put on a family room addition and a big deck without and permits. :rolleyes:...I told him all the ramification that are in his future, but he just does not care. I was tempted as things are slow around here, but I came to my senses...:blink:

This is the lot he wanted it on...about a mile from town hall....:shutup:

·
General Contractor
8,078 Posts
You did the right thing :thumbsup: Because if you get busted by the building department, it will all be on you, the HO will say... I don't know anything, he told me he got the permit and you be f^cked.

·
ampman
783 Posts
x6 not good you will pay for that job a long time

·
Banned
846 Posts
A creative contractor is a smart contractor. Here's a creative solution for you. Get one of these, show up on a weekend with a big ass air compressor, and get that man a garage.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i would try talking him into the zoning and permit... tell him you'll walk him through it... before you walk away, just reach out one last time and convince him it's easy and the thing to do...

I think he already on the outs with the boys at town hall...I doubt he would get anywhere with a variance he would need. :blink:

·
Registered
559 Posts
We worked for a client once(ultra wealthy) who got in a pissing match with the county building dept. We were on a t&m contract working under his contruction manager but we were told if anyone from the county shows up you tell them to leave and not come back until they have a warrant and the sheriff. He damn near bankrupt the county building dept in the courts.

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
Set backs from adjoining property lines...:shifty:
So what does that mean, that you need to allow so many feet from the property line to the footing of the garage? It just seems so ridiculous to not allow someone to build a garage on their own property. Worse yet, the revenue both you and the township would make is lost.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,971 Posts
So what does that mean, that you need to allow so many feet from the property line to the footing of the garage? It just seems so ridiculous to not allow someone to build a garage on their own property. Worse yet, the revenue both you and the township would make is lost.
Setbacks are generally fire-department driven. They want to be able to get around buildings and structures to fight a fire.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts