Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
90%-er
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all the b**ching I do about Home Depot, I gotta give them a shout-out this morning for something they've just started doing in our area (using the website, anyway) a few months ago that I've been taking advantage of lately.

We have a job today that requires about 15 different materials. It would take my crew and I a good forty five minutes in there to get everything picked and paid for.

Instead, I just got on their website, put together an order in about five minutes, then chose the store pickup option. It's 6:30 here now, it'll be ready for us to pickup by 8 when we're passing through there, all pulled, on a cart, and paid for.

Simply can't beat the time savings.

I'll probably go back to b**ching about them now, but I'll feel a little guilty about it.

·
Super Moderator
28,180 Posts
They have been doing that here for a long while. They have a pro-puller for this, my brother did it in college.

Difference being here:

Its 5:30 in the morning, at 630 they wont have anything done even if I ordered yesterday. At 9 am, they will tell me they gave my order to another contractor by mistake. ..... or it has been "lost" by the high pro desk guy.....

I email my lumberyard or call or fax or text by 230 yesterday, I grab a cup of coffee while they dump that chit on my trailer, or have it delivered.

I took care of the bagging for you, lol.

Reactions: TAHomeRepairs

·
90%-er
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They have been doing that here for a long while. They have a pro-puller for this, my brother did it in college.

Difference being here:

Its 5:30 in the morning, at 630 they wont have anything done even if I ordered yesterday. At 9 am, they will tell me they gave my order to another contractor by mistake. ..... or it has been "lost" by the high pro desk guy.....

I email my lumberyard or call or fax or text by 230 yesterday, I grab a cup of coffee while they dump that chit on my trailer, or have Iit delivered.

I took care of the bagging for you, lol.

I should have been a bit more clear. They have always pulled them via phone/fax here, but calling it in, at least to me, is at least a big a pain in the ass as just pulling it myself.

What is new is being able to do it all online, to make sure I get exactly the SKU I want. Maybe that's not new elsewhere?

And I WISH I had a decent lumberyard within a half hour of me. Unfortunately, the last one around here closed down ten years ago.

I've had them pull my order four times now.....so far, no screw-ups. I'll keep my fingers crossed I guess.

·
Super Moderator
28,180 Posts
I should have been a bit more clear. They have always pulled them via phone/fax here, but calling it in, at least to me, is at least a big a pain in the ass as just pulling it myself.

What is new is being able to do it all online, to make sure I get exactly the SKU I want. Maybe that's not new elsewhere?

And I WISH I had a decent lumberyard within a half hour of me. Unfortunately, the last one around here closed down ten years ago.

I've had them pull my order four times now.....so far, no screw-ups. I'll keep my fingers crossed I guess.
I have never tried online. That actually seems like it would be more efficient for you and harder for them to screw up with the actual SKU#.

The Home Depot in austin is really good, but mine sucks :laughing:

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
That's great for sheetgoods, standard products, etc...

Sticks... no way...
Couldn't agree more with you... I know if I need some lumber no matter what it is, I have to take the whole bundle apart to find some decent pieces. If you leave up to guys in there, they will stick you with all the crap.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
I've had the same experience as Jaws with most HD stores, unless I order and then call the manager. I do like this, I can order from home in the morning. They have a good website, and it beats Lowe's in a huge way because you can search by only what is available in your store.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Yeah Shame they don't have a option to click that says (click this option for lumber that's usable)

My mates the delivery manager at one of these box stores and he said good luck getting them to hand pick it. He has just given up getting the monkeys on the floor to pick out good pieces. Last time he said order 50% more than you need and they will come back and pick up the bad ones.

My lumber yard says 5% so it shows how crap the box store lumber is. Took me 20mins the other day to find 12 good 96" 2x4's. what's funny is you can stand there and watch other contractors walk in and grab all the nasty ones you just shifted out the way and they don't even eye them up. I have never seen one person in lowes in 5 years look down the lumber to check its straight. They just grab and go! I could build a round table with 4 2x4's some are that bad.

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
Yeah Shame they don't have a option to click that says (click this option for lumber that's usable)

My mates the delivery manager at one of these box stores and he said good luck getting them to hand pick it. He has just given up getting the monkeys on the floor to pick out good pieces. Last time he said order 50% more than you need and they will come back and pick up the bad ones.

My lumber yard says 5% so it shows how crap the box store lumber is. Took me 20mins the other day to find 12 good 96" 2x4's. what's funny is you can stand there and watch other contractors walk in and grab all the nasty ones you just shifted out the way and they don't even eye them up. I have never seen one person in lowes in 5 years look down the lumber to check its straight. They just grab and go! I could build a round table with 4 2x4's some are that bad.
I'll grab a handful of bad ones here and there when we're doing temping, bracing, or blocking but even then I won't grab the really bad ones.

·
90%-er
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Couldn't agree more with you... I know if I need some lumber no matter what it is, I have to take the whole bundle apart to find some decent pieces. If you leave up to guys in there, they will stick you with all the crap.
I'm with you all on this. What we got today was a bunch of OSB, a square of shingles , boxes of screws, etc.

I actually grabbed the treated lumber we needed while my crew loaded up the other order into the van.

Being able to see all of it, what is in stock, and order it, all at six AM before my kids are up and running all over is just unbeatable man.

I think we all have the same experience with crappy lumber at Home Depot and Lowes.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Yep, unless you're building curved handrails or wooden boats, these are not the places to go for lumber!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I took advantage of their "one free cut" policy a while back. I needed 300 pieces of 3/4" 4 X 8 plywood cut to 44" X 90". (50 cents for the extra cut.)

I felt guilty that some poor worker or workers had to pull and cut 300 pieces of plywood but it saved me a ton of time and they were stacked and ready to go.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
I took advantage of their "one free cut" policy a while back. I needed 300 pieces of 3/4" 4 X 8 plywood cut to 44" X 90". (50 cents for the extra cut.)

I felt guilty that some poor worker or workers had to pull and cut 300 pieces of plywood but it saved me a ton of time and they were stacked and ready to go.
Were they cut to 44x90?

·
K&B Plus...
242 Posts
Just wait until you order something that their computer system says they have, and the actual inventory doesn't match. That happens all the time at my local store. Then you gotta deal with the hassle of a return for something you never even managed to get in the first place.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I must live in a different universe from you guys.

Yes their lumber isn't perfect. The fact is I haven't seen good lumber in years. I am a guy that searchs for the best when it is needed, but I won't bother to wste the time, most of the time.

My pro guy at the Depot bends over backwards to make sure I am happy.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Just wait until you order something that their computer system says they have, and the actual inventory doesn't match. That happens all the time at my local store. Then you gotta deal with the hassle of a return for something you never even managed to get in the first place.
I must live in a different universe from you guys.

Yes their lumber isn't perfect. The fact is I haven't seen good lumber in years. I am a guy that searchs for the best when it is needed, but I won't bother to wste the time, most of the time.

My pro guy at the Depot bends over backwards to make sure I am happy.
My experience is more with Framer than Live Oak.

I have to cull lumber at any yard... at least I do it inside at HD.... I find the guys nice and accomadating there... they even pull a new bunk if I need....

If there is any accounting mix-up, they usually correct it immediately at HD, than at BMWest who generally has to F around 20 minutes getting some authorization.

I understand that our individual experience differ, but should we not as believers in free enterprize, give our busines to the most cost/service efficient.??????

·
Registered
498 Posts
That's when you tell them to get their act together and get you the item you purchased. I've done this many times with RONA, they've sold me items they haven't had and when I go to pick it up they tell me they can refund it and I can go to another store to pick it up. I speak to the manager and tell them I am not willing to do that because my jobsite is within a close proximity of their location and they should of done a visual. I tell them all the time they can grad their rental trucks and send one of their chumps to pick it up and 90% of the time they do it.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
That's when you tell them to get their act together and get you the item you purchased. I've done this many times with RONA, they've sold me items they haven't had and when I go to pick it up they tell me they can refund it and I can go to another store to pick it up. I speak to the manager and tell them I am not willing to do that because my jobsite is within a close proximity of their location and they should of done a visual. I tell them all the time they can grad their rental trucks and send one of their chumps to pick it up and 90% of the time they do it.
I did not even order the part, but Depot was low on inventory when I went to pick up a dozen or so drawer slides, and inventory was short two sets of the matching drawer clips.

They ran them from accross town in several hours, and because I had to come back to pick them up. they gave them to me....

True, not every store.... but often. Truthfully, if they had not been a national, I probably would have had a week shutdown finishing a job for two drawer slide clips:whistling

·
Registered
593 Posts
MTN REMODEL LLC said:
I did not even order the part, but Depot was low on inventory when I went to pick up a dozen or so drawer slides, and inventory was short two sets of the matching drawer clips. They ran them from accross town in several hours, and because I had to come back to pick them up. they gave them to me.... True, not every store.... but often. Truthfully, if they had not been a national, I probably would have had a week shutdown finishing a job for two drawer slide clips:whistling
Had a situation lately where I needed a 4" PVC hub to go into a cast iron stack, a bunch of 3" fittings and some 3" pipe to complete a job.
They had everything except the hub. Asked a guy (turned out to be the manager) if they had any in stock. No dice. Told him no big deal, lowes is 5 minutes away I'll just get it there.
Since I had to go to lowes for that one fitting, he told the cashier to give me everything for 1 cent. 87 dollar bill cost me 14 cents.
Things like that make me keep coming back. They always seem to make it right.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts