Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
General Contractor
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Homeowner contacted me two weeks ago as a referral from my tile supplier. She specifically asked for someone that knows how to install a Schluter shower system for a small cabin bathroom in Big Bear, CA. She explained that she has already done most of the work and finished tiling the floor, just needs me to do the shower. She did not ditra or waterproof the floor (second floor bathroom).

I explained during our first conversation that I am booked through November so if that works in her time frame then we can discuss further. Response,"That's ok, you can work on Sundays." :blink: She promised at that time to send me additional information by email since it is 1.5 hr drive up the mountain and I did not want to waste my time/gas money.

One week later she calls and says I never followed up. Since I did not have any info there was nothing to followup with. She said she would be at the cabin last weekend. I mentioned that I may be near there for a race on Sunday and she stated great then you should come by and give me the estimate. I did not go. I then sent an email (not received), two texts and a voicemail. Her vm greeting states that she will only return calls in the afternoon. Two days later, I receive these pictures asking that I provide an estimate.

My concerns:
1) HO is going to be a huge PITA.

2) I don't know what has been done behind these walls but from the surface it does not look good. New construction according to HO. Why the galvanized piping?

3) Appears to have moisture barrier behind fiberboard. Therefore I can not do kerdi over this. She has already bought the Schluter shower system. Why isn't the drain prepped for that install?

4) Big concern is she first wanted me to prep for tile and that is all. Since she tiled the floor she can do the shower. Well, if it leaks because she damages the kerdi after I leave then who is liable? After I mentioned this to her she said I could do the whole thing start to finish. Hmmm, I think we are past the start point already.

5) Permits?

Bottomline, I just needed to talk myself out of bidding this job. I don't need the work. Maybe I was initially excited because someone contacted me for a specific installation procedure. I'm sure my tile supplier has many more installers with greater volume and experience but chose to refer this to me (or maybe :jester:)

Her pics aren't great, even though she felt they would be sufficient to provide an estimate. Based on this information would you all agree to run from this project? What other issues do you foresee based on the pics and HO behavior?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Ms. Smith,

We appreciate every opportunity at work we get. The amount of work here does not justify the overhead costs of us doing this job with it being so far out of our service area. Our costs will easily be double or better what you should be able to obtain from a contractor closer to you.

There are also many steps you may or may not realize that we must do in order to protect our exposure to liability in the future. This is a wet environment, that if not done correctly could cause untold expenses in not only property damage but health related issues as well.

Again, thanks for the opportunity but this would be best for everyone if you attempted to find a local contractor.

Thank You,

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
The ones that dont value your time (you poor starving schmuck contractor Ill let you drive three hours on a sunday for my beat down price half a job bid; its a priveledge to meet me and see how your betters live) are looking for someone to push around. Trust you gut.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can you really make enough $'s to justify a 1.5 hour commute to & from the jobsite? Also, it seems like from your description that the HO would be a major PITA. I would contact her & politely decline the work since she was a referral from your tile supplier. You don't want him getting a nasty call from her complaining that you were an a$$hole - he may never recommend you again.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Can you really make enough $'s to justify a 1.5 hour commute to & from the jobsite? Also, it seems like from your description that the HO would be a major PITA. I would contact her & politely decline the work since she was a referral from your tile supplier. You don't want him getting a nasty call from her complaining that you were an a$$hole - he may never recommend you again.
This, here. Run (don't walk) away as fast as you can!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Bottomline, I just needed to talk myself out of bidding this job. I don't need the work.
You got it right in the first post, stick to your gut feeling on this one.

Its not close, you have plenty of work already, shes already being a difficult. I also beleive MarkJames hit the nail on the head.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,011 Posts
She didn't do that work or she'd be installing the schluter herself. Somebody else had enough of her
We have a winner:thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
Copied me too, darn you.
Leo is bad like that. Just when you start typing a response, he has already entered your mind, typed and submitted what you were thinking before any of us peons have a chance to hit submit. It's just so unfair.:censored:

I've tried to block the ESP with tinfoil but it doesn't work.:sad:

This has been going on for several years now and it has to stop!

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,011 Posts
This has been going on for several years now and it has to stop!
Just think of it as...

Great minds think alike.

My mind is just faster :whistling

1 - 20 of 27 Posts