Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
43,838 Posts
Looks good Eric. How do you go about cutting those birds mouths in the 45 degree railing? It's hard to see, but is there a gasket to cover up the sins?

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Or is it a birds mouth at all? The pic gets blurry as I enlarge it.
I'll grab a picture of it tomorrow. Long story short, no, there is nothing to cover up the cut. It's the first rail I do, because if I messed it up on this deck, I had 3 more chances to get it right :laughing:

It is a birds mouth cut. I drill a hole in the center and then cut the birds mouth on the Kapex. Top cut first and then flip it over to finish the bottom cut.

The Azek rails don't use any kind of sleeve or gasket against the posts, so the cuts have to be clean and accurate.

·
GC/carpenter
43,838 Posts
EricBrancard said:
I'll grab a picture of it tomorrow. Long story short, no, there is nothing to cover up the cut. It's the first rail I do, because if I messed it up on this deck, I had 3 more chances to get it right :laughing: It is a birds mouth cut. I drill a hole in the center and then cut the birds mouth on the Kapex. Top cut first and then flip it over to finish the bottom cut. The Azek rails don't use any kind of sleeve or gasket against the posts, so the cuts have to be clean and accurate.
Birdsmouth Gasket for 45's

Art

Trex used to not have a gasket for there angles either. We had to cut them gingerly. They had problems with the joints opening up from expansion and contraction, so this was their solution:

·
GC/carpenter
43,838 Posts
redwood said:
Now you got me scared Mike, I threw away the gaskets. It said they were optional and I assumed that they were for folk who couldn't cut their rails accurately. That, and I thought they might get in the way of the top cap.
I think your fine with the top cap, if you ever do the the regular transcends profile you must use the gaskets. That's my recommendation. That stuff moves and you don't notice the gaskets, so you might as well use them. I always cut the rails about 3/16 shy of the total width of a rail bay to accommodate the gasket. You got lucky Mark that you did the system with the top cap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts