Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,209 Posts
Its funny I have the exact opposite problem you guys have I cant find anyone who wants to hire somebody young.
Statistically, young guys tend to be less responsible, have little experience and few tools. That sucks for the exceptional guys, but it's still true. :sad:

That said I dont understand why some people would not buy there own basic tools.
Because they are not making a commitment to stay in the trade. They're just there to collect a paycheck.

·
Banned
9,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well, we started a new construction job today, took 48 sq delivery at 8:30, and me and the kid worked till 7:30. He couldn't stop talking about can't wait to wear my belt on the way there.. didn't take it off except for lunch and was smiles and "I love this thing" all day

·
He who's held accountable
248 Posts
He picked it up a notch today just because he's got his own tools. Very proud of the boy.
Lucky you...smells like a REAL vacation (not a four day weekend) somewhere in your future if this does pan out for you in the long term

·
Banned
9,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Terrorron said:
Lucky you...smells like a REAL vacation (not a four day weekend) somewhere in your future if this does pan out for you in the long term
Possibly so,never though of that. That was the nice thing about having a partner. One of us could take week off and stil make money while fups didn't skyrocket and production stayed steady.

Kid asked me on the way home if when he buys a gun will he have to chip in on compressor gas. :laughing:

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Possibly so,never though of that. That was the nice thing about having a partner. One of us could take week off and stil make money while fups didn't skyrocket and production stayed steady.

Kid asked me on the way home if when he buys a gun will he have to chip in on compressor gas. :laughing:
Tell him you'll rent him some for 10 bucks a day. :laughing:

I got my start in construction doing roofing. Hottest Summer in memory as well. At least it felt like it to me, and I had just returned from 3 years at Ft. Benning, Ga. Technically, if you call digging graves excavation, it was excavation, but roofing is where I call it. Besides, excavation doesn't normally have the risk of old skulls rolling out onto your boots.

I still try and roof when I can, as it brings back the best memories and the worst. Raw burnt fingertips, itchy arms, grit in my drawers... good times, good times. Seriously, the first hot day of roofing, it feels like old times.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
First time swimming through fiberglass in an attic I though I was going to die...now I've touched it so much I could sleep on it at night and it wouldn't irritate me one bit.

·
Registered
444 Posts
NO WAY! Let the boy.. ahem..er um.. MAN make his own way. He gets rewarded down the road when he earns enough money to buy his own house.
:thumbup:

Yup! I had a young helper who I encouraged to stop spending his money on iPhone apps and start investing in something that can MAKE him money..like his own tools. And then a few weeks later he had gathered up a pretty good collection of stuff and told me that now he feels like he's "one of the guys" and that he's finally getting the respect that he wanted from me and the other crew members.

But whether or not he continues to work for you is not as important as the fact that you had a lasting impact on this kid. He really wants to be a roofer.
Wants to be a roofer? Better shine a light thru his ear and see if he has a brain.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts