Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Shingler extraordinaire
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My newhelper, currently on roof number 4, (as in 4th ever)
Got his first full check today....

I think he likes his work

All new hand tools, jobsheets and clipboard, and 2 pairs of shoes for on the roof.

ForumRunner_20120420_203807.jpg

·
Shingler extraordinaire
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm a proud boss right now, this makes sifting through the dinks worth it. I'll admit, I didn't think he'd make it past 2 jobs.

You always find the good stuff when you least expect it.

·
Shingler extraordinaire
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Helper: I'm so glad I bought all this stuff, I feel like, I feel like ?

Me: you feel like a man don't you.

Helper: (lightbulb comes on) yeah, that's it!

·
Shingler extraordinaire
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Warren said:
Couple more paychecks and he can get a license and a car!!

Then he will be a man!
This is his plan. He's a good kid, I had my doubts, he just needs a little guidance. He's a my best friends, daughters, babys dad and the daughter, very much like my kid sister, begged me to give him a job and an act of kindness was well rewarded I think.

·
Shingler extraordinaire
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
And he has proven to be a fighter, roof #3 was a 3 layer cold roof tearoff, 3 layer of shingles ( proper nailing, pattern and size each time), 1 torchdown, 1 layer 1x8, 2 layers 1/2" fiberglass insulation board. The closest he came to complaining was he said on the 2nd day, "man I'm itchy"... That's it, "man I'm itchy."

Edit- 52 sq

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Remember to give him a little praise now and then but not to much don't want it to go to his head. Remind him that if anything goes sideways to make sure he calls you straight away. The good ones are hard to find. Congrats :thumbsup:

·
Registered
688 Posts
This thread seems like a good opportunity for me to bring up the side-topic of insurance on employees' tools.

Your new guy might have personal home or renter's insurance, but it often excludes business property. There might be provision for a small limit for work tools. He would have to check with his personal insurance agent/broker.

If he has no personal insurance or his policy does exclude his work tools, then you, as his employer, can insure his tools for him under your commercial business policy. Just check with your commercial insurance agent/broker that your Tool Floater insurance has an extension to also cover "employee tools that are used in the course of your business". You may have to increase your limit to account for the extra value of your employees' tools in addition to your own tools and equipment.

There is no extra cost for getting the Tool Floater wording expanded to include employees' tools. The only extra cost would be for increasing your limit.

It is a nice way for an employer to give a little extra benefit to their workers by letting them know that their own tools are being insured by the boss.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
A great boss would reimburse the lad and take it as a write off....lol
NO WAY! Let the boy.. ahem..er um.. MAN make his own way. He gets rewarded down the road when he earns enough money to buy his own house.
:thumbup:

A&E Exteriors said:
Helper: I'm so glad I bought all this stuff, I feel like, I feel like ?
Me: you feel like a man don't you.
Helper: (lightbulb comes on) yeah, that's it!
Yup! I had a young helper who I encouraged to stop spending his money on iPhone apps and start investing in something that can MAKE him money..like his own tools. And then a few weeks later he had gathered up a pretty good collection of stuff and told me that now he feels like he's "one of the guys" and that he's finally getting the respect that he wanted from me and the other crew members.

But whether or not he continues to work for you is not as important as the fact that you had a lasting impact on this kid. He really wants to be a roofer.

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
And he has proven to be a fighter, roof #3 was a 3 layer cold roof tearoff, 3 layer of shingles ( proper nailing, pattern and size each time), 1 torchdown, 1 layer 1x8, 2 layers 1/2" fiberglass insulation board. The closest he came to complaining was he said on the 2nd day, "man I'm itchy"... That's it, "man I'm itchy."

Edit- 52 sq
You found a keeper for sure. My mate had sacked 40 people last year from his business. Also if he gets affects by fiberglass get him some barrier cream. You can roll about in yellow fiberglass and not itch at all. I use it every time I do demo or get into a loft it's one of the single best purchases I ever made. Most woodcraft type stores sell it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Also if he gets affects by fiberglass get him some barrier cream. You can roll about in yellow fiberglass and not itch at all.
I rarely work with fiberglass and have never heard of this. I have a fiberglass insulating job coming up though, so researched the product. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Its funny I have the exact opposite problem you guys have I cant find anyone who wants to hire somebody young. That said I dont understand why some people would not buy there own basic tools. I hate asking the guys on some sites to borrow tools cause i can tell it just pisses them off

1 - 20 of 34 Posts