Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Nouveau Eccentric
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While acclimating some underlayment for my kitchen floor, I get a phone call and see this.. :eek:

Room Electronics Technology Electronic device Cable

Text Audio equipment Font Technology Electronics

I couldn't belive it.
I guess we've depleted

·
Nouveau Eccentric
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Diamond D. said:
While acclimating some underlayment for my kitchen floor, I get a phone call and see this.. :eek: I couldn't belive it. I guess we've depleted
Dang phone. :mad:

As I was saying we must have depleted the Great Northwest and Canada to be shipping plywood from China.
Or is it just that much cheaper?

Have to start looking closer at the tags.

D.

·
Registered
11,551 Posts
As I recall, the US Govt. allows the Forest Service or BLM (I forget which one) to sell logs for next to nothing for export. Then they are processed overseas and imported. There was a big stink about it 10 or more years ago, but that's they did. I think it was something insane like $2/log. Maybe it's still done.

·
Registered
155 Posts
There is a lot of prefinished Chinese plywood out there, I'm not so sure about underlayment. But is that a rotary phone? You don't see those everyday...

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Dang phone. :mad:

As I was saying we must have depleted the Great Northwest and Canada to be shipping plywood from China.
Or is it just that much cheaper?

Have to start looking closer at the tags.

D.
There was a write up on a woodworking forum of the boats that make plywood out at sea. They ship the raw material from the US and take what they want and then on the way back to the US they use the material they didn't want to make ply out at see then dump the waste out at sea. whats crazy is they can do this and still be cheaper than the US.

Basically we are paying them to make us crap quality plywwod so they can come here and get our quality material. its a win win for them. its piss poor quality too.

·
The Dude
2,375 Posts
As I recall, the US Govt. allows the Forest Service or BLM (I forget which one) to sell logs for next to nothing for export. Then they are processed overseas and imported. There was a big stink about it 10 or more years ago, but that's they did. I think it was something insane like $2/log. Maybe it's still done.
For export only? "You can sell logs to China for $2, but you can't sell it to a US factory for that!" ???

That's ferked.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,428 Posts
At first I thought you were in amazement at seeing an actual corded phone hanging on the wall.
No...I just have to learn to keep my PC opinions where they belong.

Time for some changes though.

Some of this trade stuff just stinks to hi-heaven.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Not sure about prices or costs, but we have been fighting raw log exports for many years.
Our mills are laying off or closing, and the trucks just roll on by.
It sucks
I'm not looking for cheap product, I want good quality.
But it is the Walmart mentality of the majority, and corporate greed that drive the economy.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
But it is the Walmart mentality of the majority, and corporate greed that drive the economy.
We have met the enemy and we be them. Even us trades people have a tendency to sometimes complain how much tools cost, then complain when they aren't that good or don't last 10 years. Too bad our currency doesn't reflect it's real depreciated value because if it would, our products would become less and less expensive every day. The trade off though is what we buy would cost us more and more.

·
The Dude
2,375 Posts
We have met the enemy and we be them. Even us trades people have a tendency to sometimes complain how much tools cost, then complain when they aren't that good or don't last 10 years. Too bad our currency doesn't reflect it's real depreciated value because if it would, our products would become less and less expensive every day. The trade off though is what we buy would cost us more and more.
In my electrical bag resides a pair of "Chines". They are like Klines, but made in another country ... The cutter chipped day 1, and it's been pissing me off for a long time. The only reason they are still in the bag is because they aren't top priority on the replacement list.

When they get replaced, I'm spending $50 on a single pair of pliers.

Somebody borrowed my Kleins years ago and they came up MIA - and I didn't have the heart to make him buy me a real replacement.

Now that my relocation is underway, as my crappy backup tools that have become primaries break ... they are being replaced with the good *****. When somebody want's to borrow a screwdriver? "Don't even LOOK at my tools!!!"

·
Don
1,322 Posts
Absolutely nothing wrong with getting stuff from china, Problem happens when the importer buying it needs it cheap so we can make a buck here, they force them in china to make it cheaper.
so the problem lies with the Government still not the Chinese.
you want good product you pay the price. good stuff from there cost more than good stuff from here

·
Registered
Remodel
31,102 Posts
At least it says exterior 1, I see a bunch that doesn't:whistling

I used to be able to get exterior 1 underlay that was actually exterior 1 - you could leave it outside for a year in the shade and it wouldn't delaminate. Less than $10 a sheet. Now I see 1/4" exterior 1 underlay is about $40 a sheet here.

No matter where it is made, plywood in general has gone way down hill in the past couple of decades.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Where do you have to go to see the good stuff from there?
I think you have to pay a factory there to make it, then pay to have it shipped here, ...

Reactions: B.D.R.

·
Registered
514 Posts
There was a write up on a woodworking forum of the boats that make plywood out at sea. They ship the raw material from the US and take what they want and then on the way back to the US they use the material they didn't want to make ply out at see then dump the waste out at sea. whats crazy is they can do this and still be cheaper than the US..
I was going to say this, BC. They have ships in international waters that are floating saw mills. I don't know that the wood actually makes it to China and back, but I could be wrong.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
A few years back I got some 1x from a big box that was from Sweden.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts