Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at a job over weekend. And could use the work. Winters are slower for me. The guy said something like" I don't pay the most but I pay"It's a lot of work I figured two guys 14 days. Submitted a est today. I think my price is reasonable but a little weary because of his comment

·
Registered
12,837 Posts
You gotta do what you gotta do when it gets slow. You're not an employee. Do the job, get paid what you can and move on. Some money is better than no money, especially for a short job like that.

Maybe he will be a source of quick fill in jobs afterwards. Better than starving.

·
Registered
943 Posts
That sounds like something someone says to a prospective employee.

So to me it would translate to- Submit your price, than I'll tell you what I'm willing to pay, and from there you decide if you want to work.

But I for one certainly am in the camp of doing what you've gotta do in slow times. Sometimes it pays off and you get a repeat customer or some referrals. They may not be your target customer but when bills are due, where it came from doesn't matter.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Those simple mind games are a ploy to keep your pencil sharp.

He knows you're slow and he will get you to offer a low price or accept a low price, which ever order it works out.

If you are good at estimating your work, you should know what the bail out number is. Stick to that number as a last resort but submit a fair price and see what happens.

If he goes down to your bail out number, get him to offer something in return for the reduction. Maybe he does the dump runs or something. Don't just reduce the price without some type of concession on his part or risk setting the president for future work.

basic stuff really

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
I looked at a job over weekend. And could use the work. Winters are slower for me. The guy said something like" I don't pay the most but I pay"It's a lot of work I figured two guys 14 days. Submitted a est today. I think my price is reasonable but a little weary because of his comment
You either get it or you don't. Hopefully you do. Good luck.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Don't let him mess with your head; if you offer him your best price and he doesn't take it, then you have no reason to second-guess yourself.
Yeah, at least you will fell good inside watching the soaps at home

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The job entails. Demoing 2 bathrooms, connecting wall. Demoing kitchen ,cabinets and all tile in dining room. Installing 140 ln ft of crown 60 ft chair , replacing mantle piece. Replacing 8 interior doors and trim. 1 exterior door. Building 3 new walls upstairs. Ext kitchen floor 4 ft framing. Rebuilding stringers from basement. Demoing 50 ft wall downstairs and all wood paneling then framing new wall. Build12by 12 deck pt no stairs. Taking out double window frame out and set sliding door there. Installing 3 replacement windows . I figured 2 guys 14 days. Does this sound right ? I am usually within a day or so with my est . But not completely confident on this one. If no one responds , that's cool , I know it's a bit of thinking.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I don't think you're too far off...I'd roll with 14-15 days. Being slow is no fun, but money lost on any job isn't worth it either! Throw your price at him and stick with it...as Gus said, if he wants it to cost less, he does the dump run or sweeps up the floors always...something...you're not a volunteer!

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
That's a whole lotta work. What Gus said.
And another reason why I hate doing remods is prep before and cleanup afterwards. Winter time, ya may not he able to setup outside, etc.
Price it normally, eventhough it will take longer than it would if you were doing it in the summer.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Make sure you can cover warranty. Most customers like that, I seem to lose in the long run. They want a great price and once price is over they expect your work. They still want the little extras and call with the smallest problems. For my price you get 5 star service, and they still expect it at the 2 star price.

A old time used a great phrase "Sure we can change the price, what are we taking off the bid"?

Every time I work to "stay busy" I was better staying at home. If you want to lower you rate work for friends and family. They will appreciate it and understand it's your "discount" rate.

I've learned the very hard way don't work to their budget. It could be different for you, but only take on what you can lose. PM me if you need anymore help, unfortunately I am an expert. These days are a lot easier though.

Joe

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
Are you doing sheetrock on those walls?
That's 4-5 trips ..Tops. If done right ...but Could always go the hot mud route and finish It out in one day...Which never turns out well.. I don't Do the 3 coats in one day with hot mud !:no:

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
The job entails. Demoing 2 bathrooms, connecting wall. Demoing kitchen ,cabinets and all tile in dining room. Installing 140 ln ft of crown 60 ft chair , replacing mantle piece. Replacing 8 interior doors and trim. 1 exterior door. Building 3 new walls upstairs. Ext kitchen floor 4 ft framing. Rebuilding stringers from basement. Demoing 50 ft wall downstairs and all wood paneling then framing new wall. Build12by 12 deck pt no stairs. Taking out double window frame out and set sliding door there. Installing 3 replacement windows . I figured 2 guys 14 days. Does this sound right ? I am usually within a day or so with my est . But not completely confident on this one. If no one responds , that's cool , I know it's a bit of thinking.
14 days - two guys?? Days are short and there are just too many different things going on. Maybe I'm showing my ignorance or something, but I say no way.

Edit: Absolutely no way. Run, Forrest, Run!

·
Punching above his weight
12,101 Posts
You guys must be fast. There's no way two of me could do all of that in 14 days.

Maybe in list form it'll make more sense to me...

-Build 12x12 deck PT no stairs
-Remove double window frame and install sliding door
-Rebuild stringers from basement
-Replace 8 interior doors and trim
-Replace 1 exterior door
-Install 140 ft crown, 60 ft chair
-Install 3 replacement windows
-Frame new 50ft wall
-Build 3 new walls upstairs - Frame and rock?

I'm gonna stop there. There's no way I could do any more than that in 14 days with two of me. The 12x12 deck in the winter alone could be a widowmaker. Permits? Are there footings there already? How solid is the ground in Rhode Island right now?
So much that can go wrong. If you're doing the rock and paint for most of these walls this is the better part of a month's work for two guys. There's big stuff in there.
But maybe MarkJames and I are just really slow. hah

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
blacktop said:
That's 4-5 trips ..Tops. If done right ...but Could always go the hot mud route and finish It out in one day...Which never turns out well.. I don't Do the 3 coats in one day with hot mud !:no:
No Sheetrock lol. Was this in reference to my kitchen ? If so. Funny ha

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So 14 days a little optimistic ? I thought maybe I that was the case. I think I have let the fact I am slow shave a couple days of bid. Maybe it takes 16? Footings poured for porch. No Sheetrock just frame.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts