Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had enclosed trailers before but they were always used for material runs and jobsite storage. I always kept the bulk of my tools on my truck.

Well my work has changed. I'm doing alot of 1-2 day projects, sometimes a week long job. I'm not sitting up shop for months at a time like I used too.

Back in the winter I bought a 12 footer which has proved to be the perfect size to jump from job to job. It fits in the cramped residential driveways that are common here and has been a joy to work out of.

It is a true "tool trailer" and the majority of my tools have migrated into it. Now I can't work without it. I take it everywhere! :laughing:

A couple months ago instead of getting a brush and roller out of the trailer I pulled the entire thing close to 100 miles one way to paint a couple rooms. Worked out great because I picked up some interior trim work and had the tools already on site. :thumbsup:

Then I went to change an exterior door and ended up with a deck job with all the tools already on site. :thumbsup:

Bid some drywall repairs, showed up with the trailer. The neighbors happened to walk by while I had the ramp down. They saw the table and miter saw and decided that I was the guy to do custom shelving in their pantry. :thumbsup:

Went to bore some doors for deadbolts. Took the trailer. A $300 job turned into a $1000 job because I had tools onsite. :thumbsup:

Went to bid a job building a shed last week. Took the trailer for the bid! Homeowner asked what I was hauling so I opened the door and showed her. She noticed the tile saw, now I have a 1780 sq/ft tile job. :eek: :thumbsup:

I love my trailer, it's already paid for itself in extra jobs.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I will agree, I have everything and extra parts on board mine. Granted mines a huge beast but I'm the same way, something always turns into something else and I have gotten a ton of jobs from people seeing me loading it a HD/Lowes/Menards and liking the way it is set up, then wanting me to their job because of it. I also have had several stop at my job site seeing it open, look at it and then want me to stop by and look at their project.

Mines big, hauling it has become second nature though and I really do not know what I would do without it. On the bigger jobs, I tend to leave it on site but when I pick up those little jobs while working a big job and not having what I need is irratating.

I am so glad I went to the trailer a few years ago. Heck I'm trying to get my new garage built to house the trailer on down days...I love that thing;)

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,855 Posts
I am pretty much the same way , hate going to a job with out my trailer. Every time I do forget something I need,making the job harder.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,717 Posts
I am pretty much the same way , hate going to a job with out my trailer. Every time I do forget something I need,making the job harder.

Pretty much my story as well. I always seem to forget something important & end up having to buy a new tool, stain, finish or fasteners. Or have to go all the way back to the shop for what I forgot. Sometimes drastically cutting into the profits & throwing me behind schedule. Now I just pull the trailer for nearly everything but the smallest jobs.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Same here. Was at a job pressure washing a deck. Thought all I needed was my pressure washer, brush and sprayer. How wrong was I. Pressure washer blew apart when I got there and had to get by with it running like crap until I went to hardware store to buy a tool to fix it. Then as I was spraying the deck with the sprayer it wouldn't pump. The oring was stupidly dry and then drive to hardware store again for silicone grease. Wasted 2hrs running about but if I had me trailer would gave been a 20second fix.

Happens every time I take what I think I will need then always need what I left at home. I couldn't get 1/4th into my truck bed what I got in my trailer so now its trailer goes everywhere with me even for a 2min job.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
That's why I love my van, has all my tools, fasteners, paints, glues, etc in it. It's a long bed (10'9" from cage to rear doors), so I can carry 10 footers. If I go to do a quick job and take my truck, it never fails I forget something. I used to have 12' enclosed trailer, but a van is easier for me now since I mainly do service type work.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I can see for service work using a van would work, when I was installing for Lowes and doing alot of dishwashers/microwaves/etc, a van would have got me by easily. But now, I really run the gamet on different kinds of jobs. I do alot of concrete, but you'd be suprised the amount of tools it requires for demo old, framing new and then just pour day stuff. I know alot of guys don't have a big trailer for concrete but I can not for the life of me figure out how they don't :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts