Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a standard 3 floor town house, standard cut and dry place. I've made some minor repairs nothing major and would like to think all has gone well considering its' 20 years old.

I went downstairs this morning to grab some coffee and walked across my dining room floor which is all laminite flooring...sure it squeeks now and then, nothing to go crazy over. But this morning was odd?

I hit a few certain spots of the floor and it sounded like the pipes below the floor were moving..least, they were making clashing noises that would make it seem like they were?

I moved around and focused in on the main area and when I moved I could here the pipes so i think?

I went to my first floor directly above the problem, I see no ceiling damage and its odd how this would happen all of a sudden? I pressed on the ceiling from directly below the problem and could hear the same noise?

Anyone have a clue on this one before I look into digging my floor up..I did have my ducts cleaned recently but I cant see there being a relationship between that and my noise?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as I know there are ducts under the floor, I would only assume so..just never heard anything until this morning?

If I step on one spot in particular and move my feet up n down as if I was working out my calve muscles..it clearly sounds like something under the floor is moving and or creaking..as if the floor was touching it?

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
It could be matal strap bridging on the joists. It is typically placed in the center of the joist span and have a tendancy to get loose when lumber shrinks due to low humidity levels. Just throwing out another possibility.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I've seen some HVAC jobs where the guys put the takeoff boots in the main duct and just pull back a couple of tabs. So the rest of the tabs are sticking out into the main duct.

I could see a rectangular cleaning brush going down the main supply duct and knocking out a takeoff boot. I could also see a round brush going up a supply line and into the main supply duct, then pulling out the takeoff boot on the return trip.

I can also imagine that the installers left you a bunch of round cut outs from the supply lines. Maybe the cleaning brush left these all in a pile somewhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My guess is duct work. When they got cleaned the duct probably moved a little and is now to close to the subfloor. I have had this problem a few times when installing new wood floors- owner has the problem and wants it fixed before the new floor. Open the drywall below it and see if there is a strap that can be pulled down a little to drop the duct
good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts