Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13,355 Posts
Can you get a tapered punch in the hole, tap it in to pop the bit and collet?

If that is not possible, a wedge between the collet and the end of the motor shaft. You should get a nut to fit the motor shaft so you don't damage the threads. The wedge can work off the nut. You can also make a fork, put it under the collet flange and use the nut to lift it out.

Tom

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Sometimes putting a block of wood over the bit and giving it a few taps breaks friction so you can pull them out. I leave 1/8"-1/16" clearance at the bottom just for this.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,203 Posts
If the above don't help, maybe toasting the outside with a torch would expand it enough to release. Not too much, though. :laughing:

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you get a tapered punch in the hole, tap it in to pop the bit and collet?

If that is not possible, a wedge between the collet and the end of the motor shaft. You should get a nut to fit the motor shaft so you don't damage the threads. The wedge can work off the nut. You can also make a fork, put it under the collet flange and use the nut to lift it out.

Tom
Tom, I’ve had this router for a few years and only used it a couple times, but if my memory serves me (don’t count on it), the ½” collet is fixed in the unit (a ¼” collet goes inside the fixed ½” collet). So I think I need to remove the bit and leave the collet.

Sometimes putting a block of wood over the bit and giving it a few taps breaks friction so you can pull them out. I leave 1/8"-1/16" clearance at the bottom just for this.
Not sure I follow? Tap it in?

If the above don't help, maybe toasting the outside with a torch would expand it enough to release. Not too much, though. :laughing:
Tin, I’m thinking about torching the whole thing and roasting marshmallows :laughing:

Just might be time for a CMS router table and another OF1400 :clap::laughing:

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Try some "Break Free", usually used on firearms.

Let it soak good & then tap the top of the bit directly, straight down, with a steel hammer....:thumbsup:

It's stubborn, but it will come out....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,355 Posts
Tom, I’ve had this router for a few years and only used it a couple times, but if my memory serves me (don’t count on it), the ½” collet is fixed in the unit (a ¼” collet goes inside the fixed ½” collet). So I think I need to remove the bit and leave the collet.
That's just a stupid way of doing it.

Tom

·
Registered
Remodel
31,008 Posts
A little bit of lighter fluid, Kroil, whatever, and give it a few whacks with a 2X4. Light side to side close to the collet, hard on the end - and hope you left a gap under the bit.

With a small tip like that, you might need hardwood to whack on the end - you'll probably lose too much of the blow just punching into pine.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,269 Posts
I would also tap it back down with a block of wood on top of the bit. Then, take some 0000 steel wool and clean the inside of the area where the bit sits, along with the bit shank. Clean and shiny is what's needed for bits and collets.

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Grip the bit with a pair of vice grips and hit the vice grips.
I think the bits more expensive than the router :laughing:

So if I understand correctly, I should douse it in lighter fluid – hit it with a torch then whack it with a 2 x 4? I’ll let you know how it worked after the fire department leaves :laughing:

·
Been around
1,162 Posts
Take a drift and tap it against each section of the collet. Work around and repeat. Setting the drift so the force is slightly in the direction of the release is best. If it doesn't release, the tap needs to elevate to a whack.

I had a Dewalt router in which the collet would do the same. Fortunately that router has been retired.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The collet unscrews from my router so I can tap on the end of the bit.

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The fire department just left. :eek:

Anyone want to purchase a gently used, charred and slightly whacked on Ridgid router? Comes with ¼” straight bit w/ ½” shank! The bit is broken and the motor shaft is probably bent (just a little) – but I’ll make you a good deal on it!

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,985 Posts
I think the bits more expensive than the router :laughing:

So if I understand correctly, I should douse it in lighter fluid – hit it with a torch then whack it with a 2 x 4? I’ll let you know how it worked after the fire department leaves :laughing:
Spray a little starting fluid in the hole and lite it off. :thumbup:Might want to stand back a little though. :laughing:

·
Registered
Remodel
31,008 Posts
The fire department just left. :eek:

Anyone want to purchase a gently used, charred and slightly whacked on Ridgid router? Comes with ¼” straight bit w/ ½” shank! The bit is broken and the motor shaft is probably bent (just a little) – but I’ll make you a good deal on it!
No video?:whistling

·
Registered
9,521 Posts
Just put the nut back on dont tighten, hit each nut face with a small hammer, go around once or twice, bit will come out. I have a freud router that does the same thing.

next time put a couple of rubber o rings in the collet before putting bit in

1 - 20 of 27 Posts