Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

I bit my tongue, would you?

3K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  cwatbay 
#1 ·
I got a call from a former client about a month ago inquiring about bidding/building a new home for them.

I said I didn't have time that I will be working out of town this summer. So I gave them the name and number of reputable builder, and pointed them to his website.

About a week ago I was talking to the builder and learned that they never called him. So out of curiosity I gave the HO a follow up call to see how things were going, if they had talked to the builder, blah,blah,blah.

Turns out they are getting bids from a couple really low quality builders. Their friends recommended the bottom feeder. I was thinking to myself "they must not like you very much".

I had to bite my tongue to keep from telling them to run away, you get whatcha pay for, etc.

Would you have given them an unsolicited earful?

Discussion starter · #8 ·
I don't really know them, the work I did for them was about 7 years ago.

The thing that gets me, that people don't seem to understand, is that a quality builder can still build economical homes.

Simplify the plans, make choices early, don't make changes, etc.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
cwatbay said:
I agree with loneframer. Let it go. Most adults (and all children) don't appreciate a lecture. Plus, you don't know all the factors involved in their decision making, but it does appear that price is a major one.

I once (many many years ago) had a new "business owner" boss that would ask my advice on things, then do just the opposite. Eventually I quit, and, he lost both his and his friends money on the business. There is a God. :clap:
I think those people are called Askholes. Ha ha

Discussion starter · #19 ·
brunothedog said:
why do so many people take it so personally when they lose a bid, or a ho does s-mthing different than they suggested?
economical doesn't mean cheaply done.
stop trying to confuse the 2
Did this confuse you?

The thing that gets me, that people don't seem to understand, is that a quality builder can still build economical homes

I'm talking about ****ty builders doing cheap work. Like this.

Wall Property Brickwork Brick Siding

Cheap or economical?

Discussion starter · #22 ·
huggytree said:
I don't get why you bothered giving them a call?

who cares what they do...you gave them advice, they didn't take it...so who cares what they do

think of it this way....you may get some future work in a couple of years when their new home starts to have issues due to poor quality.

people aren't stupid...its not magic that some builders are $40k less than others....they will realize it eventually.

you could give them advice...but I think it would just make you look goofy...its not your job to guide people through life

I refer people all the time....most of the time they never contact the person...maybe 1 out of 4x
Trust me, I'm not trying to guide anyone through life. Well, maybe my kids.

I gave them a call back because I started thinking maybe they weren't looking for a builder. That they were going to general it themselves. In that case I would want them to keep me in mind for the cabinets and Millwork.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.