Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call from a former client about a month ago inquiring about bidding/building a new home for them.

I said I didn't have time that I will be working out of town this summer. So I gave them the name and number of reputable builder, and pointed them to his website.

About a week ago I was talking to the builder and learned that they never called him. So out of curiosity I gave the HO a follow up call to see how things were going, if they had talked to the builder, blah,blah,blah.

Turns out they are getting bids from a couple really low quality builders. Their friends recommended the bottom feeder. I was thinking to myself "they must not like you very much".

I had to bite my tongue to keep from telling them to run away, you get whatcha pay for, etc.

Would you have given them an unsolicited earful?

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
Probably wouldn't say a word. Make ya wonder "well, why did you even ask then?", but there's nothing you can do with "price" people.

The chitty builder should get you through the summer, then they can call you to do all the repairs in the fall....after they "figure out their mistake".

·
Registered
11,374 Posts
I got a call from a former client about a month ago inquiring about bidding/building a new home for them.

I said I didn't have time that I will be working out of town this summer. So I gave them the name and number of reputable builder, and pointed them to his website.

About a week ago I was talking to the builder and learned that they never called him. So out of curiosity I gave the HO a follow up call to see how things were going, if they had talked to the builder, blah,blah,blah.

Turns out they are getting bids from a couple really low quality builders. Their friends recommended the bottom feeder. I was thinking to myself "they must not like you very much".

I had to bite my tongue to keep from telling them to run away, you get whatcha pay for, etc.

Would you have given them an unsolicited earful?
No. They never seem to appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
They already have your recommendation, I'd let it go.
I agree with loneframer. Let it go. Most adults (and all children) don't appreciate a lecture. Plus, you don't know all the factors involved in their decision making, but it does appear that price is a major one.

I once (many many years ago) had a new "business owner" boss that would ask my advice on things, then do just the opposite. Eventually I quit, and, he lost both his and his friends money on the business. There is a God. :clap:

·
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't really know them, the work I did for them was about 7 years ago.

The thing that gets me, that people don't seem to understand, is that a quality builder can still build economical homes.

Simplify the plans, make choices early, don't make changes, etc.

·
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cwatbay said:
I agree with loneframer. Let it go. Most adults (and all children) don't appreciate a lecture. Plus, you don't know all the factors involved in their decision making, but it does appear that price is a major one.

I once (many many years ago) had a new "business owner" boss that would ask my advice on things, then do just the opposite. Eventually I quit, and, he lost both his and his friends money on the business. There is a God. :clap:
I think those people are called Askholes. Ha ha

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
why do so many people take it so personally when they lose a bid, or a ho does s-mthing different than they suggested?
economical doesn't mean cheaply done.
stop trying to confuse the 2

·
Registered
819 Posts
I don't get why you bothered giving them a call?

who cares what they do...you gave them advice, they didn't take it...so who cares what they do

think of it this way....you may get some future work in a couple of years when their new home starts to have issues due to poor quality.

people aren't stupid...its not magic that some builders are $40k less than others....they will realize it eventually.

you could give them advice...but I think it would just make you look goofy...its not your job to guide people through life

I refer people all the time....most of the time they never contact the person...maybe 1 out of 4x

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Friends don't let friends hire hacks.
Sons don't let their mothers hire hacks. Everyone else gets advice if they ask for it, and only once.

Then they go ahead and do the stupid thing anyway. When it's all over, they ask you why you didn't warn them.

You show them the 3 e-mails that you sent them, saying that the guy is a no-nothing, uninsured hack with a history of ripping off homeowners and doing shoddy work. The e-mails probably include their replies, saying that they work in the corporate world and know how to manage difficult people.

They say, "Why didn't you tell me you really meant it?" and thereafter blame you for their experience.

Don't waste your breath.

·
Registered
819 Posts
the longer im in business the more I see true human behavior....no one blames themselves for anything...its always someone elses fault

customers who shop on price alone always get garbage, complain about it, but never seem to learn....they are like crack addict to finding the cheapest price for everything they purchase

·
K&B Plus...
242 Posts
No good deed goes unpunished. The smart thing is to let it lie.

But, I'd be tempted to inject some snark because I'm human and sometimes a b!tch. "Gee, I thought the rec was for your personal house. I didn't realize you were branching out into low income rentals". But only if I was OK with burning that bridge. It's certainly not the diplomatic thing to do.

I get the phone call. We all like a bit of an ego stroke in a "thank you" from someone for advice that we gave. It let's us feel good about ourselves. "We" were the smart ones with the answer. ;) It's part of the reason internet BB's are so popular. :whistling

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
Some price shoppers don't give quality a second thought till after the fact!
First time home builders are the worst.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
The best one I've heard from people who are dissatisfied with a previous contractor goes like this, "I knew I wasn't getting a Cadillac, but..."

I always bite my tongue, but want to say, "It's a shame your repair bill isn't going to be the same as one for the Yugo you paid for."

·
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
brunothedog said:
why do so many people take it so personally when they lose a bid, or a ho does s-mthing different than they suggested?
economical doesn't mean cheaply done.
stop trying to confuse the 2
Did this confuse you?

The thing that gets me, that people don't seem to understand, is that a quality builder can still build economical homes

I'm talking about ****ty builders doing cheap work. Like this.

image-2961675771.jpg

Cheap or economical?

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
Did this confuse you?

The thing that gets me, that people don't seem to understand, is that a quality builder can still build economical homes

I'm talking about ****ty builders doing cheap work. Like this.

View attachment 105680

Cheap or economical?
Bruno would have slapped that UP for a half pack of smokes!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts