Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bid 3 light bath reno's. New toilets, vanity tops, sinks, faucets, hardware, and paint. Just a basic refresh of the baths. Whenever I install new plumbing fixtures I always install new shut-off's and supply lines in older houses (this one is 28 years old). The HO's dont want to spend the extra money. Doesn't seem 'important' to them. For 4% of the job?? WTF?? I'm trying to decide whether to tell them to pound sand or just drop the valves/lines from the contract and give them no warranty. It's a good job from a referral, so I'm in a conundrum. On one hand if the valves leak, I have more work ahead. On the other hand if they leak, I'm a hack.

Thoughts?

·
Always Learning
8,654 Posts
We are the same way. Stick to your guns. Chances are they won't shut off completely anyway and you will still need to change them. Are they switching toilet heights? Old supplies won't work possibly...you know this...they need informed.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,713 Posts
I start singing a Nancy Sinatra song at this point..............

Reactions: 66 Shelby

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
I bid 3 light bath reno's. New toilets, vanity tops, sinks, faucets, hardware, and paint. Just a basic refresh of the baths. Whenever I install new plumbing fixtures I always install new shut-off's and supply lines in older houses (this one is 28 years old). The HO's dont want to spend the extra money. Doesn't seem 'important' to them. For 4% of the job?? WTF?? I'm trying to decide whether to tell them to pound sand or just drop the valves/lines from the contract and give them no warranty. It's a good job from a referral, so I'm in a conundrum. On one hand if the valves leak, I have more work ahead. On the other hand if they leak, I'm a hack.

Thoughts?
One of the 28 year old angle stops will leak after being "bothered" guaranteed.

Of course they don't want to spend the extra 7 bucks for a good one on each shut off because they can blame you and cry when it causes water damage.

No brainer from my end. New stops or no deal.

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
I just include it in the price of installation. If they want it out, the whole item has to be removed and therefore doesn't get done by me. There is no choice in the matter. Would they ask you to reuse the wax ring?

·
Don
1,322 Posts
everything has to be changed and that's the way the cookie crumbles

Reactions: 66 Shelby

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,066 Posts
I agree with all of the above. Except Ken's post, I have no idea what he's talking about. :laughing:

As an aside, 4%? For 2 angle stops? How does that work out?

Maybe my math is just all screwed up, I haven't had a chance to grab a drink yet. :whistling

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,713 Posts
I agree with all of the above. Except Ken's post, I have no idea what he's talking about. :laughing:
These boots are made for walkin', and that's just what they'll do..........

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Jist take a minute to explain what the valves do for them.

saves them money on future repairs

saves money when your installation does not require a change order because the valve is faulty and will not work

allows them to fix their own toilet or stop it from overflowing without using the water main

save them money when their new bathroom is made gross and disgusting by a slow leak from a 3$ thirty year old shut off.

looks nice clean and shiny instead over covered in pubes and rust.

selling is always about them and their problems and never about your problems.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I figured that was going to be the response, and I appreciate the affirmation. My bid says 'replacing all water supply lines from shut-off valving to the appliance, including shut-off valve'. It's not broken down by price. It's all included in the total price. I was asked (by phone) to give them an idea of how much less. I told them 3-4% and I can not offer a for warranty the work. We'll see, but I think they'll 'See it my way' :laughing:

Would they ask you to reuse the wax ring?
:laughing:

I'm sticking to my quote, although if I didn't, and a valve leaked I would have more work :whistling

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jist take a minute to explain what the valves do for them.

saves them money on future repairs

saves money when your installation does not require a change order because the valve is faulty and will not work

allows them to fix their own toilet or stop it from overflowing without using the water main

save them money when their new bathroom is made gross and disgusting by a slow leak from a 3$ thirty year old shut off.

looks nice clean and shiny instead over covered in pubes and rust.

selling is always about them and their problems and never about your problems.
I did ALL of that. I just received an email (1 minute ago) from them telling me I got the job. The email said because of my insistence on doing it correct I got the job! And I was the highest bid. Feeling good :clap: This is a referral, so that might have something to do with it.

·
Don
1,322 Posts
I did ALL of that. I just received an email (1 minute ago) from them telling me I got the job. The email said because of my insistence on doing it correct I got the job! And I was the highest bid. Feeling good :clap: This is a referral, so that might have something to do with it.
they said you were the highest bid ??
LOOK OUT :eek: you know when they say that somethings up

let us know how it goes and walk with some bread just in case the main shutoff don't work either :laughing:

in fact a whole loaf and 2 auto torch

1 - 20 of 50 Posts